Floater fishing

S

Stormin' Norman

I'm planning a couple of evening sessions over the next week or so, but I've had some disasters with my old favorite hook length flurocarbon. Any suggestion's as to what's currently the best to use?

B

Birds Nest

I used the new catchy named "Shimano Silk Shock Hooklink Line" in 11.8lb at the weekend for my floater hooklengthes. Worked well for me, seemed v strong and supple, I was using it in open water, so cant say anything for its use in snags....

.... Had my pb carp though... all 11lb of it <blush>...

S

Steve Clements

Flourocarbon can give you grief,being so brittle(unless anyone can recommend one that dont?), I use Big Game in the clear version, Drennen double strength is used by some but as it is pre-stretched its use ,for me,is somewhat limited.

Anthony Nash

Reaction score
Try the drennan double stength fly leader. Its excellent. I,ve seen Ian Poole and Clive Owden use it at h/shoe and take some superb fish up to thirty pounds on it.

K

Kevan Busby

Have a dig around through some of Brian Skoyles articles, he's a top floater man and if I remember right he uses the Berkeley Trilene. Flurocarbon - I just can't get on with the damn stuff.

D

Dave Johnson

I still use flouro for trout, but when stalking carp I use my Trilene XL IN 8LB-GREAT STUFF, Super limp and very strong

J

John Pleasance

I use Drennan Fluoro Carbon Fly Leader in 8lb. for Barbel fishing with no probs at all,it's a little curly when just off the spool but a gentle stretch sorts that out.(This is not the same as Drennan Double Strength.)

I did originally buy it for floater fishing but the stuff sinks to easily for my liking.

Tend to use Berkeley Big Game now in brown or green for floaters.The Berkeley fluoro carbon is not a true fluoro carbon and is quite honestly --IMHO -- crap!

J

Jon Moores

I don't think that you can beat Fishtec's "Uncle Jack's" flourocarbon, the only problem being it is only available up to 8lb bs. I've had a lot of surface carp on this and it has never let me down. It's currently available at a ridiculous ?3.99 for 100m. With regard to it sinking I just use a short hooklength of this and treat the mainline to float using Greased Lightning.

G

Gary Knowles

And old 'Modest Jon' has caught a lot of floater caught carp !

Can you get me a spool of that stuff mate ?

C

Craig w

What about ESP GHOST Fluro Norm ?
same light refraction index as water and not as brittle as the berkley.

J

Jon Moores

Gary, It comes mail order from www.fishtec.co.uk I think they may also sell it from some Airflo stockists but I'm not sure. Mickle Trafford may be worth a try, but the mail order from Fishtec is usually very quick.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rivarge Trout Leader (fluorocarbon), Dennen Sub Surface Trout Leader, Kryston multistrand and...wait for it...braid straight through..well...bright yellow fireline actually.