Most enjoyable method

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
I'd just like to know what everyone's fav methods are. Not necessarily what catches you the best fish, but what gives you the most enjoyment from just being out there and fishing.

For me its got to be stalking carp on the surface, the feeling you get from finally coaxing those massive lips up and out and over your bait, actually hunting the carp down and seeing the take just makes it immeasurably fun. My good friend and long time fishing partner Jono and me got it down to a fine art, developing counterwieghted cork imitations of dog mixers that can still be cast on a freeline because of the added weight and that hide the hook and pop the line from the surface film all in one! Using this method I managed to not blank for 5 years (and still counting!) from Maythorne mill pond, a once lovely little lake that was a great challenge compared to commercials. It has since been destroyed by a somewhat inept owner, consequently we very rarely go there now despite it once being our lake of choice. On a fairly regular basis Jon and me would catch more than everyone else on the lake put together, which was tremendously fun when youre only 16 and the rest of the anglers are experienced old men!

Fly fishing (particularly dries) and trotting are very close seconds though. I used to rise at dawn and trot till dusk as a young fishernewb, to the point where when I closed my eyes I had flashbacks of the float bobbing around every time I went to bed!

So whats your method? more sentimental the better /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
My favourite fishing times are not necessarily the best ways or tactics to catch fish but more having the opportunity to pass on and teach youngsters who are struggling to catch.

I like going to a new venue, making a decision on how to fish it and it all coming good on the day.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Much the same as Trev. The expression on a youngsters face having mastered some aspect of tackle manipulation, and then actually catching is priceless, and brings back a flood of memories of how it used to be for me. The magic and mystery is still there waiting to unfold for them, delicious times.

S

Sean Meeghan

To me it's any method that allows me to fish for fish that I can see. Presenting a bait to a fish and watching it take is the ultimate thrill in angling.

The nice thing is that with the proliferation of carp waters this approach is available to everyone. It may not be possible to see the fish in the less than crystal clear waters, but you can stalk fish that are bubbling or rooting about in the marginal reeds and present a bait to them.

Max

Reaction score
Waggler fishing for chub and roach on the chesterfield canal using floating casters. I used to get the surface boiling with fish and have bags of upto 30lb on a good day. That was some years ago now.
I used to stick float fish the trent regulary and this is also a brilliant memory for me, the guys in the Haxey Gate angling club always took time to help me out and i will never forgot that. The Trent will always hold brilliant memories for me getting there early when the mist was still on it and the smell. I sometimes don't even care if i don't catch a fish from it now, cos the memorys keep me happy.
Is that sentimental enough matey, i think i'm gonna cry......

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Stick float fishing on a river is poetry in motion. Mind you any method that you have devised to overcome a particular problem is a great thrill.

D

Dave Slater

I don't have a favourite method. After location, being able to select the right method for the situation I am fishing in is the next most imortant thing. The type of fishing I do means that I use some methods far more than others, but I like to fish in different situations to use other methods when I can. I probably get the most pleasure from doing something completely different or fishing a new venue and adapting to it.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Got to agree with you there Trev. I taught Jono from scratch when we were both about 14 years old, not only did I have immense fun helping him catch his first few fish (and many, many since), I also learned a hell of a lot from teaching him. He brought new ideas to the table, asked questions about things I had taken for granted or simply overlooked, and now he helps me as often as I help him!

I've recently started showing another good friend of mine Loz what its all about and it has been just as rewarding as 7 years ago teaching Jono. He's nearly at the end of his first year of fishing and has loved every second, on friday Loz caught his first carp by stalking with a freelined dog mixer (no time to make imitations!) and was absolutely thrilled by it!
3056_75842622010_510927010_1798846_5027923_n.jpg

Loz with his 12lb 2oz surface carp.

Indeed Sean this is the very reason I love stalking with floaters, and the only reason I visit commercialesque waters at all, the potential for stalking fish is immense and undoubtedly fishing them the way I do has improved my watercraft no end.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Yes thanks Max thats great, just the kind of response I was after. My feelings about the Mother Trent are much the same as yours, it is my wish that when I die my ashes are scattered into the source of the river so I may become one with it.

Where abouts do you fish the Trent?

Indeed Ray you are truly connected with a river when its flowing all around you. By the way are you the same Ray Clarke whos Roach PB is 4lb 3oz?

Max

Reaction score
I fish the trent from misterton all the way upto nottingham, but mainly the tidal trent/ newark is my haunt, i go to collingham, besthorpe, and newark behind the lakes. I am trying to get onto the scunthorpe police water this year as they have a strech above newark. I would like to get onto other streches but can never find out who runs them or how to get into them.
I did not fish it much last season as i set up my business but am hoipng to get down for a few session this year. fingers crossed.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Rivers

1.Stickfloat & pin 2.Cage feeder & bread.

Stillwaters

1.Float in the margins & pin 2.Quivertip.

Give me a mild winters day for the river and a dead still dawn for the lake...preferably with tench fizzing a rod or two out.Magic !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Skippy,

Your dreaming of the Palace with the tench then..../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifsee you there.

Fin,

The answer to your question is Yes.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Well Ray I may be 19 years late with this (I was 2 at the time) but, nice one! You must be one of the few of us that lived their dream and I don my metaphorical hat to you.

Don't suppose you caught it trotting with a pin while wading by any chance? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I fish whatever method catches in the location were my target fish is, however, the question was "what's the most enjoyable method?"

On the river fishing the crease with stick or waggler (not something I do very often now)

On still waters, swing tip.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fin,

I did catch it trooting, but not on a pin. I was standing on the water, No I am not Jesus, but I was on a bed of reeds, I wasn't going to try and stand on it until I saw a Cow Pat,I knew then it would be safe.

John,

Iused the swing tip last season a couple of times, hadn't done that for a while, sadly it's becoming a lost method.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Ray its a good method if it's windy and you just stick 1" of the swing tip just below the water surface.

Hopefully if this rain stops I'll be on the Lankie Canal tomorrow morning first light. I don't expect much the water temp is a wee bit low yet, but its nice to sit out the coming light instead of sitting into darkness. I'll tell you what though, these fresh spring nettles don't half sting and they're hard to spot with everything being so green at this time of the year.