marker rods

klik2change

Reaction score
Here's another question for you all. What are the useful characteristics of a marker rod? the rod i have used until now cannot cast far enough. i have an old fox rangemaster, which i trod on and subsequently repaired. it now has a piece of carbon landing net handle just above the butt. it casts now as well as itever did. would this work as a marker rod? or is the tip too stiff?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi

You cant have a stiff enough marker rod. The stiffness of the rod transmits more feeling into you hands and the feelingis therefore not lost in the soft compression of the tip.

A good Marker rod is useually a spod rod/. It cast really well and isnaturally very stiff.

The chub Outkast is a great marker rod.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
If your marker rod cant cast as far as your actual baited hook rod then there is no point in using it as a marker rod. Like Ian says a good stiff rod will transmit more feeling (especially if you use braid) but there is no point in finding a feature then casting further than it. That said it will still be a usefull rod for finding features and for spodding small amounts acurately, and anyway there is the added bonus of using a rod that you have given new life too. I bet it would be good for chucking small deadbaits out in winter as well.

klik2change

Reaction score
Thanks Ian & Trev. what you have said soundssensible to me. i will use the rangemaster and see how i get on with it. i have also noticed something new in the time i have been otherwise occupied with work [aargh], namely the feature finding lead with a small metal rod built into it.

Ihave a beachcaster that i use for spodding with 20lb mono on it. it always seems to work very well, with no problems at all. i dont think the 2.5 lb rangemaster would cope with sustained spodding, though i have actually used it for casting herrings - didnt catch much though.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ian,

Some of the comments above seem to be at odds with the video and the written description.

Is that not a Greys Marker rod (2¾lb T/C) that you are using?

Personally, I prefer to use a specific Marker Rod as opposed to my spod rod for depth finding as the sensitivity (particularly with a floating braid line) aids 'touch' and impression. For instance, when winding the lead back across a gravel patch the more sensitive tip (on a Marker Rod) gives a definite 'rattle' whereas a spod rod tip gives a lot less 'feel'

Each to their own of course and no offence intended.

F

Frothey

the only problem with using a spod rod is that some people might not be able to compress them with just a lead, so might drop distance.

i use a Century FMJ as a marker rod - nice and easy to compress lol! totally agree with using a stiff rod though. if you've got to use a tippy rod, point the rod straight at the marker and pull the line by hand "trout retrieve" style. useful when looking for small spots too.....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"totally agree with using a stiff rod though"

Dave,

How 'stiff' is 'stiff' though?

Compared to say 2½lb T/C Carp rods then a 3¾lb T/C Marker rod is stiff, but compared to a 5½lb T/C Marker rod then it is not.

To my mind it is always best to use a rod that has been designed for a particular purpose, therefore a Marker rod for feature finsding and a spod rod for spodding.

I still haven't hads a chance to use those X-flites yet, but hopefully when the new season starts I'll give them a whirl.

F

Frothey

Depends on the action though Peter- a 4lbTCdeadbait rod tend to be a through action to help protect the bait, a 3lb tc competition casting rod will be as stiff as a poker to help tip recovery to generate speed.

pick up a 3.5tc Century NG, then an FMJ or Harrison Ballista - you'llsee what I mean.

I do find it fairly hard to believe thatthe mass market producers"designs" a carbon tube for marker floatwork though.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Peter

I have to be honest and say the Greys marker is not given a Tc by the manufacturers so I am unable to tell you what the TC is. However being in the position I am I have beenable to try many different manufactures marker rods in fact I have six of my own of different lengths and range abilities. I have found that the stiffer the rod the better feel you get a soft rod gets into to much compression at times and can cause the lead to leap over smallobstacles on the lake bed as the tip springs back from compression. Stiffer rods do suffer from this trait. This is what I based my statements upon My videos and articles show a more broad spectrum approach that should meet with needs of the average angler, using a spod rod forfeature finding my be deemed to be only suitable for the more proficient anglers.Angling like many things is all about compromise, use tackle that you get on with best and gives you what you the best results.RegardsIan G