Eton Sun

D

Dave O'L

Now then ladies & gents. Anyone out there help me out with a bit of an itch that needs scratching?

2 years ago I bought a pressed alloy?? centre pin for 50p. A deft flick has it spinning for all of 10 seconds. (Unless my numbers come up the only Ariel I'll own picks up BBC.)
Anyway I thought it may be fun, has a line guard & all that.

Intriguingly it says something about a patent with the number 020975 stamped on the side.
I phoned the gent who writes for Waterlog & CF who put me in contact with a Eton Sun collector. He checked & said he had never heard of an Eton Sun metal pin before as they are known for their wood pins.

This has only made me more thoughtful. Anyone able to enlighten me with any information?
Thanks.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Yeah, the truth is it's only worth about a 'tenner' so I'll give youa tenner and you can put it in the post for me.

Shhhh....I'm now off to Sotherby's

D

Dave O'L

Cheers Stu LOL.
Now, I don't think it's worth money. I got intrigued as it appears to have a patent & I can't figure out what can possibly be patented on it!
As I said it's just an itch!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
my advice Dave, is when you got an itch, you need to scratch it, you might find your onto a winner there mate!

S

Stuart Bullard

I know it sounds obvious, but you can check with the patent offcie. I believe all the information is public domain.

D

Dave O'L

Stuart I'm a lazy sod.
I read that a lot of reels had patents put on them due to little changes during the development years.
My hunch is that this is a post war (say '50s) mass produced reel.
I rescued it from oblivion, covered in crap etc. Cleaned it up & have used it a couple of times. It'll do me for the Stour!
My numbers did come up on Saturday, 4 of them - ?89, can't get an Ariel for that!

D

Dave O'L

Sorry, I've just brought this back to see if Alan & Kevan (sorry Kevan I realise I mistyped your name).
It's a swine trying to work your way through the members list to send a mail.

By the way Stuart it's not that I'm lazy, it's just if you have the experts for fellow members why not ask?