price increase

NIGE K

Reaction score
the anglers mail and the times went up by ten pence today i think they thought we would not notice with a free gift on the cover so i only bought the mail its a better read with less adverts per square inch apart from the eight wasted pages in the middle this week..

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
I buy the Mail every week and, no Nige, I didn't notice although the boilie stops are in my tackle box already. Newsprint and paper cost increases due to poor exchange rates I suppose combined with a possible fall off in advertising revenue.

I stopped buying the Times last autumn when Idecided I'd had enough tuition on how to fish a commercial with a pole and pellet and I'd read every advert for fishing gear it was possible to read (no - it's not an invitation to re-open the thread!!!!). What was the freebiewith the Times? If it's worth £1.70 I might just buy one.

C

Colin North, the one and only

They should be reducing the prices, not increasing them. Adverstising revenue pays for the print run and distrubtion several times over. If they reduced the prices to nominal sums, more people would buy them, and the advertisers would be happier, because the message is being spread further. In my local tackle shop, each month, I can pick up a free copy of "Freshwater Informer" which usually carries more interesting reads than both of the "National" publications. I have to confess though, I do buy the Mail

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Not again Nige. Still got the last lot they gave away in my tackle cupboard. My mate used some on a small lake we fish and, as far as I'm concerned, it was very visible in the clear water (and he only caught small perch rather than the tench and crucians he was after). I just wouldn't have the confidence to use it. I'll keep my £1.70. Ta.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Paper price increases were the reason. Advertising fairly steady at the moment as far as I'm aware. You want to come and publish it for us then Colin?

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just had a look through the (Freshwater Informer) and it's a great wee magazine Colin: Just goes to show that it can be doneFREE to anyone how wishes it.

Colin: Cheers for the Info there mate, as it's got me thinking. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Greg

Far be it from me to tell you your job but why not try the Sunday Sport approach

A few stories like these might pull in a few punters

"Richard Walker found alive and fishing on the moon"

"Bob Nudd tells of his secret life a part of Westlife"

"My Otter Fetish " Graham Marsden

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Greg mate no need to be bitter - it take a special kind of mind liek I ahve to think these things up - normal people like you just don't have the "gifted" brain

D

Dave Slater

Greg,

Did the price go up to pay for Robson's appearance fee?

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Greg Whitehead wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Paper price increases were the reason. Advertising fairly steady at the moment as far as I'm aware. You want to come and publish it for us then Colin?</blockquote>

No, I don't. But it strikes me that if others can do it, so can the AT and AM.

If numerous free Evening papers can be printed up, delivered to source and distrubted, on a daily basis (save for week-ends) I'm sure AT/AM could also absorb some of the cost and reduce their prices. I'm not suggesting they should be given away free, but they probably would get wider distribution if they were muchcheaper. I do not buy AT, because it is stuffed with adverts, and I don't see why I should pay for the priviledge of reading them. Simple really.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
It's such a simple solution you'd have thought someone would have thought of it before....

I think you'll find the free papers that are national are all rammed with paid-for ads. All the ones that aren't, are all limited in terms of their geographical distribution. They are run on extremely low overheads, including a very small staff. That is reflected in the quality of the editorial content. You'll never read of the exploits of a Steve Ringer, a Bob Nudd, a Terry Hearn or a Martin Bowler in such appersbecausethey can't afford them.

The Freshwater Informer is probably regional to you and therefore its editorial content is likely to be far more relevant to you geographically than a national. But it won't feature 'named' anglers, match results from all over the country, tide tables, weather forecasts, good national news coverage, etc, etc.

You don't watch TV for the ads but for the dramas, sport, documentaries, films, news, etc in between them...... We can run cars on electricity but the majority feature internal combustion engines. There's usually a reason for the way things are. Quick fix alternatives rarely exist because people would have done it already if it made financial sense.

F

Fred Bonney

There are a number of big name companies about in the angling world who have

"no budget for advertising this year", so it ain't going to get any easier.

E

EC

I don't know anything about the margins that the Times and Mail operate on, but I will bet that they could not survive on sales alone, hence adverts are a necessity.

As a kid and young adultI grew up near small tackle shops that had little in the way of stock and 'used' the ads in the AT/AM and other mags to help me decide what gear I could and should buy and at the best price, mail order improved my gear massively enabling me to buy kit that I could not get locally at a price I could afford!

Maybe at times we should give the AT/AM a break, and dare Isay even a bit of support,as once they're gone, you can bet they'll be gone forever!