Dumping leads

Shine

Reaction score
I was in The Tackle Box yesterday when 2 guys were talking about rigs. One of them said most the lads onhis lakedump the lead as soon as the carp takes.

Forgive me for sounding stupid but has this been going on long or is it a newish thing, and why is it done? Also if everyone startedcarp fishing this waywould it start to do any damage to the lake/wildlife?

NIGE K

Reaction score
i believe when the lead is dumped it makes the carp come to the surface quicker its used in very weedy or snaggy lakes

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
i dont do it as it is expensive and unnessacary almost allways i reckon....and i fish a couple of very snaggy and weedy waters. it wouldnt suprise me if people are just doing it because its the "in" thing as with alot of rig ideas people sometimes dont think or understand the reasoning behind it they just do it. i do use very small leads also and i think the lads who want to dump them are using leads averaging 3oz or sómething (seems to be "popular") perhaps for the cast or to hold bottom, aid hooking etc......so these leads are a bit more of an inconveinience on their line when a fish is hooked, but still i could see it getting very expensive.

F

Frothey

spot on Clive - there are a couple of situations where i *might* use a weak link/lead clip, but in the vast majority of situations it's just a fad. We didnt seem to have that much of a problem in weedy waters before they were invented. And you see people using them in open water with no snags lol.

If I was fishing the sort of water where it's a couple of takes a year I might use one, but I shudder to think about what the bottom of a couple of the popular runs waters look like!

And have you ever noticed that the lead manufacturers all make/promote lead clips.....?

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

spot on Clive - there are a couple of situations where i *might* use a weak link/lead clip, but in the vast majority of situations it's just a fad. We didnt seem to have that much of a problem in weedy waters before they were invented. And you see people using them in open water with no snags lol.

If I was fishing the sort of water where it's a couple of takes a year I might use one, but I shudder to think about what the bottom of a couple of the popular runs waters look like!

And have you ever noticed that the lead manufacturers all make/promote lead clips.....?</blockquote>
I must admit Dave that Iwas a bit puzzled by the term " dumping leads " but not being in the loop of carping of late I wasn`t too sure of the content but have to agree on it being a fad and a bad one at that , the mind boggols at the thought of all those leads being shed on the bottom of lakes ./forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
god yeah, there must be physically tonnes of lead on the bottoms of the runs/commericials (the kind of place were people do just follow the in thing)

also bang on frothey, a couple of runs a year/monsters may justify it just to be extra sure when bringing them in (wouldnt want to lose one). surely people will get tired of paying for 20 leads for every trip.......i use little 1oz inlines and had a couple on for about a year and a half!!!

at this rate lead will be in the same situation as fossil fuels!!!! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Carpless

Reaction score
Why you would want to dump leads in open water is just bizarre. Carping has enough expenses without adding 'one use' leads to the equation. Couple of thoughts though:

a) How does this affect the bolt effect of the rig if the lead is coming off as the carp takes?

b) Surely if its weak enough to come off as the carp takes then its potentially weak enough to come off on a cast?

D

Dave Burr

Call me an old cynic but you may have noticed that those that promote this theory are themselves sponsored by companies that sell, amongst other things, leads.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
true Dave, also those that are sponsered by bait companies can have access to huge amounts of boilies, bringing them a step closer to dominating lakes just because they can put it in and establish it with ease and no cost.

Naas Le Roux

Reaction score
Leads should only be dropped once a fish hits a snag like reeds or grass. It is allabout carp care and im sure dropping leads just for the sake of it could interfere with the carps natural habitat especially especially on a runs lake and this will be defying the object of responsible carping....the opposite is also true ..ive retrieved leads where the safety clips have been glued so that the lead cant drop....which is probably someone with the same concern than others here with regards to lead prices. I say use it for what it was made to do.....to release a lead if a fish got snagged and espesially on aline break.

aaron martin

Reaction score
it is a little bit of a waste, but sometimes it is easier of you dont have the trouble of pulling the lead up aswell as the fish. What about Zigs? Landing a fish on a 12ft hooklink with a lead banging about is hardly going to be easy so if the lead dumps you can simply wind the hookling through the rings so you can land it easier.