Does Ware Angling Club (Hertfordshire) have a website?

J

Jeff Butler

Just wondered if per chance there is any WAC members who visit FM and do you know if they have a website?

Thanx
Jeff

M

Mark Bullen

i am joined wac and i dont think there is a web site for it yet.

J

Jeff Butler

Mark, Is this your first season with WAC? If not what are your prefered venues and target fish?
This season for me is going to be about tracing my childhood roots in search of those elusive big old Perch. To beat my PB Chub of 5.lb which I cault on a WAC water last season. To find a pike nearing that magical 20.ld Oh, and finally catch my first ever Barbel!!!

M

Mark Bullen

This is going to be my first season with ware angling but i no a little about some waters that they have.(so you are going to the meeting on the 28th)well the place i am going to fish next season a lot is Nine Ashes it holds a good number of carp to 12lb and tench and roach in there plus it is only 8 minutes away from me.
not sure if they have any waters with barbel in.

J

Jeff Butler

Nine Ashes is a lot of fun. Early last season I had a few sessions over there and the little carp were literally crawling up the line, not making it easy to get a bait to those better fish. I even put out large lumps of lucheon meat but they still got them in their gob! Had one session around Autumn time with 2 mates. Was hard work to find a bite in the wet and very windy conditions but Andy had a nice Morror of a round 7.lbs, but he is a baliff for WAC!!! I understand that there are some barbel to be had on the 1&1/2 mile stretch of the Old Lea that we have just outside Ware town, To be continued.......
Very good chance that I will make it to the meeting on the 28th...

M

Mark Bullen

i have not heard a barbel in there but there is good perch in there.Not sure if there is any as you go up by the pits next to the lea wac had the river there i have seen trout,pike and roach. Plus now they have put even more stocks of roach and chub in to nine aches. As for the 20lb you are looking for try the river lea stanstead abbotts or Ware. where did you catch your pb chub ?

C

Cakey

Mark
try the Lee at the wide part above the lock in Stanstead Abbotts,they like to sit around the boats.

J

James Bradshaw

CAKEY..... some whacking great bream on that wide bit aswell!

Mark - Jeff's chub came from the old Lea, a bit downstream of the weirpool (in Ware) - the bailiff reckons beating 5lb won't be too hard - apparently that stretch is crawling w/big chub! We had a few of the trout out of there last season, as it goes - kept taking worms we put out for the trout, which was a bit annoying! But Christ do those trout fight... (And my dad had a terrapin out of the weirpool...!)

Might catch up with you on the bank at some time - all the best, mate

M

Mark Bullen

james have you seen any body catch a barbel in the old lea ?

J

James Bradshaw

Mark - I've walked the WAC stretch of the old Lea a couple of times, and never seen any sign of barbel myself - but I know the bailiff (Andy) socially aswell as piscatorally (if that's a word!), and he's had a few out, and seen a lot more... Me and Jeff have only been members for a year ourselves, and didn't do much fishing last season - things tended to get in the way (alcohol, females, you know how it is!) But I know from personal experience there are barbel both upstream and downstream of the WAC stretch, so I have no reason to doubt that they're in Ware aswell.

BTW - my previous entry SHOULD have read ''...kept taking worms we put out for the CHUB...'' (alcohol again... <s>)

You got anywhere in mind for opening day yet, Mark? I know you're ''8 minutes from Hunsdon'', but in which direction, if you don't mind me asking? (I'm in Hoddesdon, btw) It's just that me and Jeff are going to be in Ware for the first morning, not on a WAC water, but a gorgeous little stretch that (as far as I know) never gets fished, but has a lot of ''potential'' (we've seen plenty of carp (not big - only to about 15lb or so), tench, bream and perch in there)... but you have to be slightly unorthodox in how you fish it! If you're stuck for something to do first knockings, and fancy a bit of company, e-mail me at

musclemuseum@aol.com

and you'd be welcome to come join us - just be prepared to leave your bivvy, umbrella... even rod rests! at home. (And if you DO e-mail me, put your name in the subject title somewhere - I have ''e-mail virus paranoia'' and tend to delete, without opening, any e-mails from people I don't know)

Later...

J

John Pleasance

If you want more info on barbel in the upper reaches of the Lea,I would suggest that you do a search on the BFW website,there is quite a lot of useful info there.

J

James Bradshaw

Mark - tomorrow?!?! You'll be a bit lonely - me and Jeff won't be there till June 16th!

John - thanks for the tip - I don't know what ''BFW'' stands for, but I'll hazard a guess it's ''Barbel Fisher's <whatever>''; I'll have a scout around and see what I can find.

J

James Bradshaw

John - Much appreciated, mate! I've just been nosing around the BFW site, and found much good stuff!

Wonder whether there are sites like that for all species...?! I'm not at work tonight, so that'll give me something to do!

Later...

J

John Pleasance

It's Barbel Fishing World, James; glad you found it useful.

J

James Bradshaw

Mark - erm... it's the close season - that bit of water is running water - it's an offshoot of the Lea. It doesn't count as a canal or stillwater, so you can't fish it now (as far as I know!)

Either way - me and Jeff still use the close season dates regardless - gives us time to get everything sorted, and something to look forward to! If you go there before June 16th, let me know how you got on.

Later, mate...