Angling Trust

P

Phillips Jerry

Went to Broadlands Country show in hampshire today,the angling trust had a tent and were also doing have a go at casting with plenty of takers mostly kids,I had ago myself to try and improve my accuracy.Is this the way forward ? Was thinking about joining but was told that I would not have a say or vote on policy not exactly democratic.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Get in there Phillips, what you want to vote for?, you just have to trust them, I'm sure they will do their best, unlike the lot in the General Election

P

Phillips Jerry

While I can see bringing angling under one umbrella is a good thing, as an individual I have no say , let's say for argument ,that the Angling Trust wanted to align itself with Foxhunting which I personally would thinck as a bad idea how would I tell the Angling trust this ? I will try an join a club affiliated to the Trust instead .

Ray have your say on voting /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Good work was done at the show yesterday by the Angling trust I hope it a step in the right direction

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The AT voting is not right at all.

If you are a club with say 600 members, you get 6 votes, its around one vote per one hundred members,( well thats what has been said on other threads).

So lets say a club of 600 anglers want to join the fox hunters, it would only take 7 individual members to out vote them, how can that be right.

I have always said Individual membership only, all members being Equal, but you know what, that would be to simple.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hell Phillips , you have set him off again, it took a month last time to settle him , his wife will be after you

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
hahaha, I have said all i am going to say about the AT, it's a good idea, but the membership is wrong, enough said.

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
Ray

Just so you can get it right in future. Clubs get 1 vote for each20 members they have to a maximum of 12 votes. No club voytes can outweight the votes of individul amembers at AGMs, thus all power rests with individual members.

Individual members get 1 vote each. The power in AT rests with individual members not clubs, but clubs have needs as clubs, not as representative bodies, and AT attempts to supply those needs, with insurance policies specific to the needs of clubs as opposed to individuals.

What do you propose that clubs shoulddo? All go into the market and try to buy their own insurances, and pay a lot for it,or join AT and get a group policy, at better value for money for their members and thus reduce the cost, or at least not increase it, to members of the club?

Jerry

Why would an angling organisation align itself with foxhunters (or shooters or cyclists, for that matter)? AT is an angling organisation, it says so in the name. It is not a fieldsports organisation, it cares about angling and fisheries, hence running casting events for children and anglers.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Michael,

Just so you get it right in future, I said, It had been said on another thread.

As I said, the voting is not right, you can not have a minority out vote a majority, well you can but only in the AT, and you prove that point with your comments.

Who said anything about insurance, nothing to do with voting at all. Angling organisations should be Equal to all members across the board, but thats not so with the AT, asagain isclearly pointed out in your comments.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ray,

I can only speak in Mike's favour here, the voting in AT seems at least a little fairer than say the old Labour party when one union leader could stick his card in the air and a vote of 1,234,863 was counted. "Oh look, there's Jack Jones, T&GU. Rack up another 2,198,453!"

That wasn't just a little corrupt, that was just plain stupid. If a big club joined with 2500 members, you expect them to count as 2500 on the say-so of a few committee members?

I think they have it about right here, put the vote with individual members and those that are affiliated through their clubs will still count but less so. They can always join as individuals as well.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Woody,

Sorry mate but you also have it wrong as do the AT, it should be one vote one member, but it should have been individual members only in the first place.

The reason it isn't individual members is that the AT wouldn't get the numbers they require to fund the AT. We have been here before and nothing has changed from either side, nor will it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fred,

How right you are, I like the idea, but not the set up, so it's not for me, but as I have always said, Good Luck.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Woody,

Sorry mate but you also have it wrong as do the AT, it should be one vote one member, but it should have been individual members only in the first place.</blockquote>

So sorry Ray. I thought you wanted one man one vote fro those who were only members by association.

I'd agree with what you say, individuals only, but the NFA was organised along different lines (bit like the Labour Party) so some provision had to be made for them. What they have come up with doesn't seem too bad to me, a compromise, but then life's full of compromises isn't it?

Can't have everything our own way otherwise there'd be too many happy people around and that's just not English.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

So, I take you still haven't joined? /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

If you dont like the current system Ray join and use your one vote, if you can get sufficient like minded members, jobs done. If you prefer not to join then you have no right to demand anything. As Woody rightly said,life's full of compromises, isn't it

First and last post on this thread (talk about scratching the skin off your %rse) and see no point in going over the same old issue. There are things I'm not happy with but prefer to take those up with the people who can make changes. Pay your cash and you can do the same.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We should remember, however, that there are times when "too much democracy" - the full expression of the popular will, whether it be genuine or merely manipulated by others - can be a very bad thing. Imagine what a body could end being forced to do if sufficient numbers of its members demanded it to - do stuff that, in its possibly worked-up ignorance, the membership believed to be right, but the body, with its set of cooler heads and clearer eyes, knew to be destructive to the interests of anglers and Angling...

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
John,

As one of the majority anglerswho have not joined the AT I have every right to say what I think of the AT.

Just as the minority AT has the right to say what it wants.

As for the ar*e skin, try some cream........./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif