Too LIGHT?

G

Glyn Farman

I have a pair of 11ft 1 3/4 tc Hooliguns which I use with 5000GTE baitrunners for Zander fishing.Would this setup be OK for targeting carp in the 10-20lb weight range on small gravel pits?There is no distance casting needed,and no bad snags.

C

Carp Angler

It sounds an ideal set up.

Stuart Dennis uses bream rods for his carping and he gets on fine with them.

C

Carp Angler

especially when he's out fishing all day and I'm sat at work.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Glyn, thats a perfect set-up mate. for the last couple of years Ive been using 12foot 2lb test curve and have had some excellent sport with many many doubles. Its only the tackle tarts who don't know how to cast properly that didn't learn how to fish properly through the ranks of normal coarse fishing that go for the real whopper stoppers right Rik?

But for the record Glyn and following Riks avice to the tee, I bought a new set at 2.75 tc, which have served me well.

C

Cakey

The only doubles you've had are cherry brandys and few pasties!!!!

C

Carp Angler

He's had more than doubles when it comes to pasties.
By the looks, he's eaten my portion as well.

P

Paul Williams

Glyn,
Its nice that in your question "To light" you get the "heavywieghts" of FM answer!.....personaly i remember when 13/4lb was a stepped up carp rod, so as Rik says you have the ideal set up.

R

Rob Brownfield

I love my 1.75 tc 12 foot North Westerns...lovely rods for up to about 70 yards.

I step up to 2.25 tc for longer range going to 2.75 Infinities for long distance stuff..and 3 pound Armalites for annoying anglers around me who have the latest super fast action rods :)

G

Glyn Farman

Cheers all.All I've got to do now is convince the carp that they want catching!!!!!!!!!

C

Chris Bishop

Why bother - another couple of weeks and you can go after the zander again...

C

Cakey

You stick with carp, them zander are horrible and should not be mentioned on the carp forum.