Name fish

C

Chris Bishop

Caught my first "name" fish with mixed feelings this weekend - spent two years after it, gave up, then had it on a two-hour muck about with girlfriend and four-year-old son.

It gave several locals their first 30, coming out at 32+ but went 27:14 when I had it.

Having said that, I sat down and thought really hard about catching that fish and finally managed it - any views..?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think the only thing you have to ask yourself is if you enjoyed trying to catch it and then enjoyed catching it when you were successful.

Whatever conclusions you reach in the aftermath of those events won't change a thing about what you felt at the time, which is all that really matters when you think about it.

In any event, congratulations! A fine fish in anybody's book and no matter what its name is.

D

Dave Johnson

Yes well done Chris, we all have our own targets and weights that we aim for in our heads, but what counts is enjoying it....and that is usually felt when targets are acheived so weell done. Its name was'nt Boris by anychance......have not heard of him for a while Cooperman

P

Paul Williams

Chris, you targetted the fish and you caught it, you obviously wanted to catch it and why not!!! it matters little that it has been caught before, only that it will be caught again!....now lets get into your true feelings!!! i once caught a pike that had been caught at a weight of 30+ on at least three occasions, i caught it at 23!! it then disapeared for a while before reapearing at 33!!! i kid you not, i didn't know wether to laugh or cry?????....bytheway i did find out that my "heavy" scales were weighing light, but not that much!!!!!

Alan Roe

Reaction score
A specimen hunters wife gave birth to a fine baby boy the midwife said "I've forgotten my scales" "Here borrow mine said the angler"
That baby was the first to be recorded as a thiry!!LOL

R

Ron Clay

I was looking at some tench photos the other day and came across one I took of Peter Stone with a 9 pound something fish from Manor Lake at Stanton Harcourt. I then took a look at the 8lb 12 oz fish I took from almost the same spot about 6 weeks later. Due to a mouth irregularity I definitly think it was the same fish, but it had spawned.
I feel honored to have re-caught one of Stoney's fish!

C

Chris Bishop

Paul - sympathies mate, it happens to us all. The bigger they get, the more their weight can see-saw up and down depending on time of year and whether they've just munched a couple of 2lb food fish. I'm not really disappointed, I wanted a 30 and went after that fish because it was on my doorstep. Catching it was the main thing, the weight wasn't so important.

Now I just want to catch a "proper" 30.