Your own dream lake

S

Sascha Welsch

Title says it all - you've been given your own dream lake as a present (yeah, I know, I'm not of this reallity) and you've got the difficult task of stocking it. What would you introduce and why? Obviously fish transfer and stocking procedures have been agreed!

P

paul clarke

plenty of new lily pads and iris , followed by tench , crucians ( true crucians only ) wildie carp , and a smattering of roach , rudd and gudgeon ( well , i need something in there that i can catch !!!!! )

K

Kevan Busby

Mermaids...! Seriously though, Commons, Crucians, Tench, Roach, Perch and Eels. Then have it landscaped by someone who knows what theyr'e doing. Ah Sascha, if only eh!

J

jota smith

cat fish, pike and zander a predator`s paradise with roach, perch and rudd as the main course.

J

Jim Crosskey

Before I started, I'd get some advice from a proper biologist about balancing the lakes ecology - after all, you don't just want one species, surely? Then it would be a mix of Tench, Roach, Perch, Rudd, Eels, Pike and Carp, carefully balanced to ensure that everything survives and thrives to specimen size.....

S

Sascha Welsch

iota,
how about some tiger muskies and alligator gars......real predators. With some specimen carp to feed on of course! Only kidding.

Rudd, gudgeon ('cause I love the noise they make jumping when I'm night fishing),perch,eels, catfish, tench,a few big bream,crucians,a few carp(commons ideally) and pike. Paradise found.

M

Matt healey

I already fish a small lake stocked with just carp tench and rudd it was stocked about 40 years ago and with no species interbreeding the fish are totally breath taking we are trying to get the owner to add perch if he does the perfect lake will already exist

ron lander

Reaction score
Got to go along with the tench, rudd and perch theme, sounds perfect, if it was a large, deep lake some big bream would have to go in as well.

I am fairly lucky because my works club have the fishing rights to the lake at Cheltenham racecourse. It was dug around 25 years ago and along with proper advice from the EA we stocked it with tench, crucian carp, roach, perch and a few years ago 4 or 5 twenty-odd lb carp and 200 chub were introduced. We also landscaped the place ourselves. It looks like paradise in the summer, all the lilly pads and reeds etc... I love the place.

C

Craig Smith

It would have to contain Tinca's, True Cruie, Rudd (forget the roach for sake of hybridisation) and Grass Carp. The preditor would have to be Perch. The lanscaping would be lillies, bullrushes and willows.

F

Fergal Scully

First let it mature for a year or two if its a newly dug lake. Then stock rudd tench and minnows. Also while its maturing you can transfer insects from other waters e.g. a range of caddis and mayflies etc.. Lastly some trout and perch to add to the excitement.

R

Ron Clay

A yearly stocking with rainbow trout is a good idea. Gives a bit of sport in the spring. I would ensure that all trout caught are killed however.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Forget the small ornamentals. I put in Diddy-Kois, and in the morning all the pads had gone, the perimeter fencing had gone, me gnomes had dissapered and no sign of the Diddy's either.