Reel problem.

pez

Reaction score
Hi. I bought a Shakespeare Mach 3 reel, good price i thought and with 4 spools.When i am fishing i prefer to back wind when playing bigger fish but have found with said reel i cant leave the anti reverse off as it tends to unwind a bit on its own and i end up with 2-3 coils of loose line which in turn can cause problems.Its as if the spool is too free running if you know what i mean. So is this a reel problem or have i loaded spool incorrectly.Any advice please

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Not sure, but i also have a Shakespeare reel that i use for float fishing and heres what do...

Have the anti-reverse off as default and set the clutch to give line should i hit anything biggish, i can then just simply knock on/off the anti-reverse if i need to really easily and really fast.

I always used to backwind fish but after hooking a decent Carp and not being able to backwind fast enough to allow it line i stopped doing it, i now (and have done so for quite a while) relied on the clutch and i havnt had the same problem since.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Pez

The problem you are suffering from is caused simply by the free running bearings in the reel allowing the spool to turn under the weight of the reel handle. This is not uncommon on modern reels. If you feel up to it take the side plate off and smear a load of vasaline on the gears and drive train this will stiffen up everything and stop this from happening.

Tight Lines

Ian G

A

alan whittington

I agree with Day Breamer,i used to fish as you do pez but feel that using the drag especially at the strike and early stages is an advantage,in fact i just tighten up more and play fish with a bit of both all the way through the fight,but if you cant get used to that the vasaline trick Ian mentions will definitely work.

Pez,i thought about buying one of these reels but i dont trust tacklewrite-ups and couldnt get to see one locally,what are they like,the free running sounds good to me if nota little unusual in a new reel(it should loosen up a little more with use)and they are a good price.

pez

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, i took the screws out of side plate but it wouldn't budge so i took top of reel off and it still didnt come off so i think i will leave that lol.

pez

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>LongMan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

should have got Shimano</blockquote>

Which Shimano would you recommend Longman for general float work.

My favourite reelwas a Abu Garcia i bought for £20when i first started fishing again 3 years ago .(kids dropped it and handle snapped off on Saturday)

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Sorry Paz there is nothing left but
MagicHammer_large.gif

0742605A65UC225458M.jpg

Timmy Mallet time

pez

Reaction score
No, no,no. I must admit as the day went on yesterday i did start to get used to having anti reverse on and using drag system so i might persevere with this and see how it goes.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I had the same with a shimano running to free, vasaline didn't slow it down enough for me, so I used some grease, perfect now.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
When I use to fish the Thames at Oxford chucking a feeder all the way across the river my old mitchell reels would just sit still no mater how hard the river flowed. I replaced them with Shimanos and the reels would just keep turning and turning with the drag of the water on the line.

Good old anti reverse woked for me and I used the clutch on the front as its designed to be used.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I still use Mitchell reels today, and bought two new 300's from Ed just last year. Anglers can say what they like about them, but the facts are the Mitchell are a very good reel and the test of time proves that.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had the same problem as Ray Clarke with Shimano's. I cleaned the original lubricant out and re-packed the reels with good quallity grease. OK for the last couple of years now.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I always use the drag on my reels, all of my reels are Okuma paybacks in size 30 and size 40, i use these for all my waggler fishing and feeder fishing.

I always only use the clutch settings on the reel for the fishes first initialrun as i have found the clutches on these reels to be exceptional for the type of fishing that i do on lakes and commercial fisheries.

After that first initial burst, i find that if i then want to play the fish by back winding i don't have the same worries of it storming off on a 40 or 50 yard dash as the fish has tired somewhat.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Yea sorry, on my way back from Bream fishing yesterday a Silver Renault shot past me with the reg plate 'Pez (with four numbers)' you obviously sprang to mind /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif