spodding advice

tc1

Reaction score
hello, couldanyone help me with a answer about spodding.

i have just bought the fox tb2 stubby spod, so i can use it with my 2.5 and 2.75 tc carp rods, how much difference in the clipped up lengthbetween the spod to the length of my carp rig?

ie do you have to have your normal rod clipped up shorter to take in the difference of the curve or drop back effect of the loaded spod as it hits the line clip,if soby how much, hope im making myself clear, any advice would be great. thanks.

Carpless

Reaction score
Couple of questions.

Are you casting to a marker float?

Are you using the same rod to get the bait out with the spod then changing over to the rig?

tc1

Reaction score
im not casting to marker float, and yes same rod

F

Frothey

the spod doesn't empty straight down, unless the water is shallow, no wind and you are using big baits.

i always go on the clip, then three or four turns of the reel past the spot, and three or four in front. make sure you go to the side a couple of yards as well, otherwise you can easily end up fishing off the baited spot. it's also better to get the fish moving around a bit.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi TC1

If you’re intention is to get your baited rig exactly on top of the spodded area then you have to take into consideration the depth of the spot you are fishing to.

So say we are casting 90 yards clipped up to a small gully and the water is say 10 ft deep the sweep of the rig as it hits the water on a tight line will bring the rig towards you by about two feet.

You have to take into consideration at this point the stretch in the line which depending upon diameter can be quite substantial. Howeverdo not disperse because in 10ft of water the bait will drop all over the place dependant upon the towand water current in the lake without considering the inaccuracy in castingyour spod mix will be all over the place which for some people is what they want.The only potential increase in accuracywhen spodding can be achieved by using braided main line.

The other way of getting bait out exactly where you want it is by using PVA bait packages. You use your standard lead systems,
IMG_4716.JPG

say a running rig and take off the hook lenght from the speed link.
IMG_4718.JPG

To the speed link you add a second speed link with a large size 2 carp hook
IMG_4720.JPG

and put the larger than normal PVA bags onto the hook.
IMG_4721.JPG

Now cast you large PVA bags of food out tothe bottom of the lake. The PVA will take the food parcel directly to the bottom concentrating you baiting pattern without anyone else on the lake knowing what you are doing.

PLEASE NOTE dot try this with a standard lead egect type lead setup as you may well lose your leads. It may also pay to reduse the size(weight) of your lead if you are using large PVA bags.

SneakyTight Lines

F

Frothey

^^ good tip that Ian.

good for checking out themakeup of the bottom too...

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey

Thank you ( Ego suitable massaged for the day) Spod mungus mate (in a radio luxemburgvoice)

Tight Lines

Ian G

F

Frothey

You're great Mate. totally carpteachingtastic

Great radio for listening to as you listen to fish bosh at 2am....
r2_highlights_l_1.jpg

F

Frothey

looks a bit like me on the right /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

tc1

Reaction score
thanks for the advice fellas, very helpful,