stop knots

paul ashton

Reaction score
Anyone got a good way of SAFELY removing a stop/distance knot from your main line without risking damage to the main line?

I've long windedly pulled the knot off with the line held underwater to cool it but there has to be a better way, what do you do to remove them?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Paul

Yes use size 4 pole elastic and the stopper knot will come off easily mate.
IMG_4144.JPG

paul ashton

Reaction score
Cheers Lads,

tell me do you unpick the pole elastic knot and with what? I worry that a needle or similar will damage the main line weakening it. I found this whole issue more of a problem when using braid mainline with a braid distance knot (to show where to clip-up).

You can probably tell from my concerns that my eyesight is not great and my confidence in the strength of the mainline would be reduced if I set about poking sharp objects at it.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Ok Paul

A braid marker line will be stronger than most mono fishing lines so that when you put a braid marker on your line it is almost impossible to get off without damaging the main line.

With Size 4 pole elastic as a marker as you move the pole elastic marker knot up the mono line the friction eats the rubber making the marker knot just fall off the line with no damage at all to the main line.

No unpicking just more fishing time .

paul ashton

Reaction score
Aha, it has dawned finally, I shall get some pole elastic a.s.a.p. thanks to you all for your help.

C

Cakey

Im here

I use wool because it does not cause a bulge unlike pole elastic or Kelly Brook

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Yes, but wasn't there some trick involving cutting a bow so it would come apart easily (which is what the original post was about)?

Any sign of those helicopters?

C

Cakey

no signs yet

I tie what i think is called a water knot

when I want to take it of two thumb nails middle of the knot and pull apart

C

Cakey

not been there for ages might pop over with buddy................

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Alan,

Stanbo is fishing very well at the moment, a mate of mine was there at the weekend, plenty of fish. He was fishing the far end on the lake from the cafe, on the police station bank, if that helps.

C

Cakey

Ray have you seen the size of the carp across the road in the duck ponds ?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
God, that was fun! Couldnt find my pole elastic, so grabbed a few strands of Koosh ball rubber from my fly-tying kit. Set up slider, checked how far I could comfortably cast, marked spot with both rubber and wool.Removed bulk and fitted plummet, found it deepens just at the edge of my comfortable casting range (old river bed?).

Fired out about half my groundbait, proceeded to try and fish over it. Fat chance, it was like trotting. Here ended the first hour. Fed up. Morale below the ground. Wind in face, casting a matter of luck more than technique, and not a sniff. Stiil, the koosh rubber made good a good stop and marker.

Plan B: set up feeder rod, heave to same spot as slider, mark up with koosh rubber; jam end of rubber into line clip. Remove float rod.

Discover my bread has thawed wrong: I now have one slice of soggy bread, one bone dry, and one that's a bit of each. Use soggy bread on a 16. Cast to clip, get sidewinder set. Nothing happens. Pull on line, feeder moves but doesn't snag(!), reset sidewinder. Catch bream!!!. Repeat successfully eleven times - my best bream bag in the UK. Best two went just over four lb.

Plan C: towards tea-time, heaved a few balls of groundbait in near bankside cover.

Just as the light starts to go, the bream clear off, so I set up a Nottingham rod and 'pin, waggler and and one of the last few fragments of useable bread, and drop in the margin swim where I've noticed a nice common carp patrolling. Float vanishes, battle royal, call mate to help net fish, fish sees what an ugly b. he is and stonks off to the far bank, or so it seems. Mate goes back to own swim. Ages later, called mate back to net eqal P.B. carp of 18.5 lb. Removed rubber markes by pulling the tags off, whereupon the rest of the knot (quadruple overhand) unravels with a brief massage. Perfick. Haven't tried to undo the wool stop yet, will report back later.

Definitely a /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Bingo one happy angler. Well Done Alan great fishing mate are the rivers open where you are fishing ?. Ie not in close seasson ?.