Re-captures

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
a lake i fish is supposed to hold a certain 20 that i wish to catch among the 20 ish fish that are in there. the problem is re-captures cannot be avoided and i have caught one fish 3 times in 4 trips /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifwhich i really dont like doing. i am going to try and avoid fishing itanymore because the chances of catching a new fish are slim orperhaps impossible.

just wondering what everyones feelings are on re-captures, cheers.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Clive I think you ought to call the samaritans mate How sad are you LOL. " Oh I do hate catching the same fish time and time again" I bet there are a few 1000 anglerts who would love to have that problem.

I can just see it at the tackle shop " Oh I just cant face it again I have caught the Mug fish three times in my last four trips !!!! What am I to do "

Fishing is a game of chance and percentages just do the maths and work out the chances of catching your target fish

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong. You must be doing something right and as long as the fish is still healthy there is always that chance you could catch a new fish, or the one you are after.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Fish a diffrent swim. Some carp are known to be caught more than others. So unless you can stalk the fish all you can do is play the numbers game.

D

Dave Slater

Clive,

There are two things to consider. Firstly I agree with Bryan that it may be a good idea to fish a different swim. Although big fish frequent different areas they often have favourite spots, so it may be that you haven't found this particular fish's favourite spot yet. There can't be much wrong in what you are doing or you wouldn't be catching somany fish. Keep moving around until you find the right spot. I don't like repeat captures either but, unfortunately, they are a fact of life. It may be that you have found the favourite spot of the fish you keep catching and by moving around you may find that you are able to avoid this fish as well as eventually finding the big one.

Another point to consider. In my fishing I like to move around and fish different waters. I often find that if I am trying to catch a particular fish then a spell away from that water often results in the capture of that fish the first time I return there. It may be coincidence, but I don't think so as it happens too often. I think leaving the water helps to concentrate the mind and you are more relaxed when returning. Also you may approach things differently when the intensity has gone without realising it.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
cheers Dave.

this lake is small, as in fish lap it in a couple of minutes. a few have been killed did i mention? this makes me wonder the ones im catching are the only ones left. it is strange as my last about 8 captures have been commons. i am sure this time of year is very easy on this particular water compared to what its like at any other time. as for changing swims, its so small and i can usually cover the main bodies of water of all "swims" with 3 rods. it is hard to explain exactly. also the water is coloured and spoting fish unless on the top is impossible (unless they jump, but then you cant see what fish it is) coinsidently the rumoured big 20 is a mirror, which i havent managed to have any out, all interesting thoughts and developmentds.

Ian, yeah its a numbers game, but if you like catching the same fish over and over,THAT is sad. yes its inevitable, but with such a low stock and small size like this lake, AND the fish kills, is it worth carrying on. it is one of my favorite waters but i must move on.

also, this thread wasnt really about seeking advice, i have sussed the water i feel, know what works and instinctively know where to fish often and i am catching (the same fish).

thanks Dave for answering my question about how you feel about recaptures.

The End /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

B

Bully

Hey Clive - what you are missing is that, unlike all these scare stories about fish feeling pain, having amemory and being distressed (from completely unscientific research) is that they are put back in rude health, unharmed and like me after a good session, completely clueless about what happened!

Keep up the great research /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Clive you worry to much

do you think every roach perch tench etc caught is an uncaught one ?

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
no, its not about fish being uncaugh AT ALL, my "dilemma" is whether the fish i want is actually even alive in that water, and to find out is it worth ploughing through the same fish, re-capturing, which ive said i dont like to do and consider a waste of time really. i am not worrying, just putting some thought into it, insted of mindlessly fishing for these fish over and over.

Bully, research?