missing bites

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I seem to miss more bites than other when fishing the waggler at distances over 10 yards for roach and skimmers

Close in I'm like Peter Shilton at his best - further out I'm more Bruce Grobbilobby (you know the Liverpool keeper i nthe 80's) on a bad day

Is this due to the rods I use - mostly a JW avon and a no name match rod or is it poor techniquic?

Reaction score
Assuming you have sunk the line, as you strike you will have to 'rip' the line from under the water. This adds greater resitance and slows down teh reaction.

Have you tried striking sideways, keeping the rod low? This way you 'pull' the line through the water - less resistance.

Also, are you using a bigger (longer) waggler at distance? A longer float slows down the reaction as does the extra shot.

If you can't sort it out then I suggest you get a pole./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The avon my be a bit to soft as it as a more through action.

Best striking sideways less resistance.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Parting the locking shot so the float fishes as a slider for about a foot can help, too - you strike through the float, rather than dragging it through the water before you contact the fish. (Naturally, you have to change the shot so that most is below the float - or even use a stop-knot and fish it as a pukka slider.)

And another vote for sideways striking.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I agree with striking sideways, the only part i would add to that is to strike sideways but against the wind. If the wind is blowing left to right this usually causes the under tow of the waterto flow right to left and vice versa if the wind is blowing right to left.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I can see a good reason to buy a new waggler rod - any suggestions for a good roach rod - Idon't sdtrike sideways - ill give it a try

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There could be a few things here, the rod is one, striking sideways another, but you could also try striking upwards as if you were taking the rod over your head.

Then you could try floating the line, if the weather is right. a few times i have fished the waggler at distance and floated the line on a fine day, waggler fishing isn't just about sinking the line. This may sound different to some but trust me it works very well.

M'lud,

how much are you thinking of spending on a good rod? your game keepers yearly wage?

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Another vote for sideways striking, but also the need for a stiffer rod for waggler at range. A lower stretch line of the pre-stretched variety might also help if you can find one that suits your fishing style/conditions.

Tight lines /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Chris.