Closed season on Norfolk Broads

Geoff Hood

Reaction score
I've got a weeks holiday booked in a cottagein Norfolk in a couple of weeks time and am looking for a couple of venues to fish ?

As it's the close season I was thinking of taking a fly rod and maybe a couple ofrods suitable for light sea fishing ?

I found this article whilst looking for places to fish

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/broads_closed_season.html

I wasn't really thinking of coarse fishing anyway , but the way I read that there would be no waters open in the broads area ? I can't really believe they can get away with such a blanket closure ! Surely that must be restraint of trade ?

Anyway , I've always wanted to catch a mullet and was wondering if there are any good spots on the Norfolk coast to break my duck ?

F

Fred Bonney

They are not getting away with anything Geoff, it's always been that way!

It's called Close Season

Anyway,can't help on the mullet front

Geoff Hood

Reaction score
I know the Broads are classed as a river system , but nationally stillwaters are open all year round whether you agree with it or not !

That press release reads as though all waters in the Broads area should be closed even if they are a stillwater which is not part of the Broads system !

That is what I meant by restraint of trade . If I owned a commercial fishery in the area I wouldn't be too happy. Also if this is the case it would be bound to have an effect on the tackle trade .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Geoff,

The Norfolk Broads are a designated SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) so regardless of whether they are classified as a stillwater or a river or a canal, they are governed by the close season periods of all rivers.

It is not a restriction of trade inasmuch as the owners of 'commercial' venues knew in advance the restrictions and entered into their venture(s) regardless.

Notwithstanding however, there is a possibility for commercial venues to seek and obtain an exemption, following an EA inspection.

Hope this clarifies the position.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Try for bass on the north norfolk coast, if you can find them. Don't expect the local boys to be too forthcoming with the info though! Likewise mullet, I should think you will be in with a chance at places like Brancaster Staithe, Stiffkey etc.

There's plenty of close season fishing on still waters in Norfolk, whereabouts are you staying and what sort of fishing might you be after?

Geoff Hood

Reaction score
Cheers , we're staying at a place called Irstead , I think it's handily placed for travelling around .

I've heard there are mullet at Cromer pier ? We've got fly gear and will probably take some carp gear with a view to spinning and light sea fishing .

Just downsized the car so will have to chose carefully what we take. Hoping to get a few morning/evening sessions if the tides are ok but we are always interested in a short stalking session for carp especially if they take floaters /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif