American catfish

coelacanth

Reaction score
There are fairly regular reports of Channels still, they were sold in large numbers through the aquarium trade andmany of these will have been dumped by irresponsible individuals as they grew. Our Summers are not really warm enough though for successful breeding, fortunately. There were occasional imports of other Ictalurus sp., but I've not heard of any of those being caught.

Ameiurus stillpop upevery now and then, although again it's not warm enough here for them to breed with any regularity, unlike on the continent.

Never heard of Flatheads over here, I know a couple of people were looking for them a few years ago. Since the new restrictions came in there's very little chance of them appearing.

peter crabtree 2

Reaction score
havent we got enough american creatures in uk today?grey squirrels,signal cray,rainbow trout,canada geese,etc.I know its not their fault,they were introduced by man,but they are all a pain in the arse...

/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gifrant over..

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Peter, not promoting introduction, just curious, Channels popular here, Flats too, although flats planted into new waters here have cleaned out local populations of smaller pan fish, Bluegills etc.. Have you seen the jumping Carp that have showed up inour Mississippi river? Maybe we need some Wells, atleastwe would have big fish to catch! Is there controversy about wells in Great Britton? I know I would love to fish for them in Spain!

slime monster

Reaction score
A 2lb 4oz american bullhead catfish was caught by myself and others from a small pond ,it was the only one in the water, I kept the golden variety in my garden pond and they survived several winters .

I think that is the correct name

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
There are several waters with channel cats in - I think the UK record for a channel cat was about 10lb last time I enquired (years ago). The biggest one I ever caught was about 2lb from a smal lake near Guildford Surrey. I know this coz it's one of my 'lake records' /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif I don't have many.

Maybe we need some Wells, atleastwe would have big fish to catch!

Are you kidding? You have better fishing in the US than almost anywhere in the world. Mind you, wels are something a bit special... But you have alligator gar etc...

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Maybe I should have said "bigger fish) My PB (Channel) is 13#, I think the record is 69#, I don't no on the Carp, caught them 24 or 30" long, probably plus 20# ? Once saw one jump along the bank next to my son-in-law that had to be 48", scarred the hell out of him /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif Some one had a post here wanting 500 LB a person for a trip to the Ebro for Wells, is that reasonable?

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
i think your PB is 13lbs and the holiday cost £500, otherwise when did the AFTM start rating catfish and carp? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I've seen a vid on youtube Rich of two guys bowfishing for these jumping carp you mentioned, they were spearing double figure fish out of mid air with a crossbow whilst tearing along in a motorboat, totally crazy stuff! Definitely a whole different type of fishing!

Catfishingham

Reaction score
I don't understand the first half of your post, I mentioned 13# PB and Wells trip cost, no comparison was intended, you may have misunderstood me. I don't consider one type of fishing to be more worthy another.

The second half I find disgusting, I don't like trotlining either I don't consider either on sporting!

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Sorry mate i was purely playing pedant with you!

I understood you fully but I think you may have your units mixed up slightly, that was the point I intended to make - nevermind.

As far as I'm aware these fish (silver carp i think) are invasive and a pest, which is why they are exterminated. Regardless of the ethics and effectiveness of using a crossbow firing bolts attached to a spool of line and reeling in the speared fish as a method for eleminating silver carp from the Missisippi River, it certainly looks like it would be entertaining.

Lionel

Reaction score
Ive got 4 channels and a bullhead catfish in my garden pond. I got the channels from an aquarium shop. The bullhead took me nearly3 years to find and even then it came from someone elses pond and not a dealer. I had a wels for a whilebut once it got big enoughit just ate all my goldfish and then died.