Wintle?s World ? Making a Connection

W

Wolfman Woody

Very nicely put, Mark.

I am one of those, at the moment, who feels it's a bit too much trouble to go. Household chores, well, garden really, and then there's other things we've been through. To go fishing on top seems..... but then as you say, there's the connection.

Went on a work party last weekend to a small lake I haven't visited for three years maybe. I identified 4 swims I wouldn't mind trying and straight away, I felt AT HOME!

And as for "Somewhere deep in our psyche is a primitive urge to hunt". That is something the anti's just cannot get to grips with. But they too are hunters - of us!

D

Dave Slater

Mark,

DIY and gardening taking preference over fishing? Val has you well trained. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I liked the article. Like you I have fairly intense periods of fishing, the last month or so of the river season being a prime example. You are right, it is necessary to rest after this and recharge the batteries, otherwise we become stale and jaded and, as a result, do not enjoy the fishing as much or do it as effectively. This is one of the reasons I only have the occasional session during the old close season.

DZ

Reaction score
Thanks Mark

A lovely read.

My better half makes sure I go at least twice a month- she says it makes me a better person.

Before I were Dadda with Babba (Flora is 2 and Zander is 6 months) I was out 3 times a week.

Since fatherhood its depeted hugely, but someone said to 'You know- those fish- they'll wait for you, they're not really going anywhere'

It struck a chord and my patience now extends way beyond the weekend. Thats whats nice- touch wood, I'll always be thinking of fishing.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Guilty as charged m'lord. That doesn't mean I don't go fishing but I am certainly not as motivated as I used to be, at one time I would have spent my entire life on the river but age, a bad back and circumstances dictate a different agenda these days.

Where once I thought fleetingly of reasons that might stop me going fishing I now think of reasons why I shouldn't go and I am convinced the biggest contributing factor in all this is age. Age has all sorts of influences on a person and one of them is this feeling of "do I really want to struggle along a river to places where I have fished hundreds of times, what if it rains, its not the same as it used to be, oh! me poorly back?" All these excuses, and others, influence you more and more the older you get.

I still get an immense amount of pleasure from going fishing, I still prefer to float fish rather than fish lazily on a feeder I just don't do it so often.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
A fine and well thought-out article, I'm sure most anglers can equate with its content. Good to see the 'away from the water' portion of our hobby recognised as an essential part of the process that motivates us to return to the waterside. For me, angling has so many facets of interest that it constantly re-invents itself over time, and morphs into new and exciting urges to catch and be hypnotised by mother nature.

Angling evolves with the angler, whatever the situation. The addiction has to be fed, how we feed it is as varied as the techniques we employ. You can't stop being an angler, to do so would require removal of half your brain /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Just my ramblings.

Chris.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Nice article mark.

Yes I’m absolutely in agreement that hunting (fishing) is hardwired into our system and all be it somewhat redundant for those living in the modern highly populated 24 x 7 society, some of use still feel the urge to practice our hunting skills. But also equally hardwired into our system is the need to compete or be the best and that also applies to fishing. Remember for thousands of years our ancestors didn’t fish to be at one with nature but to solely to provide food. The concept of being at one with nature didn’t mean the same to our ancestors as it does to us. although being at one with nature would certainly have put more food on the table.

"Good to see the 'away from the water' portion of our hobby recognised as an essential part of the process that motivates us to return to the waterside."

Couldn'r agree more Chris.