Angling and the 2012 Olympics

davestocker

Reaction score
Given the vast amount of money that will be spent on the London Olympics in 2012, attempts will no doubt be made to involve as many people in the UK as possible in activities that are directly and tangentally to do with sport. Whilst angling isn’t an Olympic sport, it is supported by the Sports Council, and in my view we’d be foolish not to use this as a PR opportunity. But how? And what should we do? Anyone got any ideas?

D

Dave Slater

I hope nothing. Too much PR attracts the wrong kind of people.

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
You could start a petition on the internet and ask people to sign it. If the petition had enough signatures, something might be done about it. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

This is a petition website where you can set up your own petition for free.

davestocker

Reaction score
Don't know what you mean, Dave S. As I see it PR for angling should simply reinforce in folks' minds that angling is an engaging, normal activity enjoyed by ordinary people. If we as a nation are to somehow 'celebrate' sport in Olympic year, then let anglingbe included rather than excluded. We've just got to work out how...........

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I shall be celebrating angling in the Olympic year by going fishing and hoping that everyone else is sat at home watching folk in shorts run round in circles and jump over obstacles.

Unless teddy throwing is included as a new sport I'm afraid it's not for me.

As for angling as an Olympic sport, what could we have? Fastest dash to the flyer pegs? Longest pole without the tip touching the water? Who can sleep longest in a bivvy while barbel fishing? Longest cast, most boilies in your mouth, most swearwords in a minute at a passing boater or cyclist?

Sorry, but I don't see it. Angling's not an Olympic sport in my eyes and never will be. It's a field sport carried out in the countryside along with pidgeon shooting (not clays) and ferreting.

All Olympic sports can be improved by taking drugs - especially if you have to sit and watch them.

D

Dave Slater

<blockquote class=quoteheader><blockquote class=quoteheader>Bob Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I shall be celebrating angling in the Olympic year by going fishing and hoping that everyone else is sat at home watching folk in shorts run round in circles and jump over obstacles.

Unless teddy throwing is included as a new sport I'm afraid it's not for me.

As for angling as an Olympic sport, what could we have? Fastest dash to the flyer pegs? Longest pole without the tip touching the water? Who can sleep longest in a bivvy while barbel fishing? Longest cast, most boilies in your mouth, most swearwords in a minute at a passing boater or cyclist?

Sorry, but I don't see it. Angling's not an Olympic sport in my eyes and never will be. It's a field sport carried out in the countryside along with pidgeon shooting (not clays) and ferreting.

All Olympic sports can be improved by taking drugs - especially if you have to sit and watch them. </blockquote>
I will be celebrating it by going fishing as well Bob. Dave, this is what I meant but in detail. Too much PR and publicity would attract the kind of morons that watch Robson Green and I, as would many others, would prefer to keep things nice and quiet and as low key as possible. The odd visit to commercials in the close season shows me what angling could become like eventually. I can take the odd day at these places but in general not for me I'm afraid and I would hate to see all fishing become like this.</blockquote>

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Bob Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Sorry, but I don't see it. Angling's not an Olympic sport in my eyes and never will be. It's a field sport carried out in the countryside along with pidgeon shooting (not clays) and ferreting. </blockquote>

I agree with Bob. The only kind of competition you could have is a match style contest - whoever catches the biggest weight of fish wins.

davestocker

Reaction score
I was never for a minute suggesting that angling should be an Olympic sport (tho' I think there's a good case for casting being one). My point isthat in the scrabble to do things around the fact of the Olympics we could be provided with some opportunities.

But I do likethe tongue-in-cheek challenges you suggested, Bob (and the new Barbel DVD).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Whom,from FM will carry the Flag,a carp rod at slope arms AND a landing net at the opening AND still manage to walk around the stadium................any takers??

My guess.............................Ron!!(or would he want to walk with the South Africans??)

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Best not to waste the mental energy.

Keith Arthur seems to think some kind of 'casting' event might appeal. Not the slightest interest Keith, sorry. If I'm able I'll be out fishing...hopefully on a deserted river.

However one event might bring a smile; the 100 mtr 'sprint of the worlds best carpers, complete with fully loaded tackle cart...in full camo.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fishing in the Olympics?

It will be a the worst thing to happen, it will be havoc round here as it is. Millions being spent, and millions more after, just to change it all, WHY?

Waste of money, our tax money.

Pick the Country to hostas they do now, but all those taking part should pay into a pot to fund it.

Casting Event, I can see the World being up all hours waiting for that.............../forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif, big screens in the major towns and a heros open top bus welcome for the winner.