Fixed paternoster rigs

Weeman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what you thought about the safety of the fixed paternoster rig (water knotted to main line) for barbel / river fishing?

I use them almost exclusively when tenchand chub fishing but always use a running rig for barbel - can't sayI know why either.

John Wilson seems to use them come rain or shine, but are they considered safe?

Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
A FIXED paternoster is a tether rig simple as that.

When barbel fishing there is the chance of a mainline break due to snags.

John Wilson illustrates paternoster rigs extensively for carp and tench - however remember how old the books are Weeman. Things have moved on.

If you must use a paternoster then attach the lead link to the mainline with a running swivel and 'fix' it with a blob of heavy metal or a rubber float stop.

Why would you wish to use a paternoster for barbel anyway?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've used a paternostered feeder before now on the rivers, open & blockend types. Usually maggot feeder for whatever comes along and I have caught double figure barbel on it from the Derwent amongst other species.

I attach the hook to the mainline (6lb usually), the the feeder to a weaker 4lb length attached using a sliding knot like the uni-knot.

I attach the feeder to the tag end that point up toward the rod tip, this gives a boom effect to the hook and prevents the feeder slipping toward the hook on the cast.

The fact that it is a sliding knot means that there is no tethering danger should the line break above the knot.

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Topper.

I also have a nagging feeling that the FIXED paternoster is unacceptablewhen barbel fishing but its is still used so I was hoping for a super-duper safer version to come to light.

I think I'll have to play around with float stops and work out something I'm happy with.

I like the paternoster, I'm confident with it and I think it's better at showing chub bites (I'm happy to catch chub when barbel fishing).

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Like this but with a feeder where the bomb is attached.

jwstraightlrg.gif

I've nicked that picture from Jeff's rig: Here.

P

Phillips Jerry

I make my pattenoster rig by trapping a small swivel in bettween two Drenman Grippa's, add a bit of silicon tube about 3inches long over the swivel and it's pretty tangle free .

Morespiders

Reaction score
Uni knot or a nail knot, or a four turn water knot, or even a 4-5 turn blood , think about it.

None of the above knots would i recommend for heavy feeder, or bomb fishing or distance fishing,use a swivel or bead

I sometimes use thin pole elastic to my small feeder or bomb