Anti-tangling tubing

Moggy

Reaction score
what method do you use to get this on your line? Right carry on i reckon!Haha anyone know any tricks?

shall

Reaction score
i did see that gardner sell a tool for doing this

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
If you use a pole anglers diamond eye threader it is a whole lot easier.
FOXPOLETHREADER.jpg

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Interesting thread and useful answers......I shall be watching this one as I've experienced the same problem as Moggy....

Good stuff!

Max

Reaction score
Sorry to ask the obvious but have you got the right diameter cos i have no trouble threading it onto 15lb line matey, i did when i bought the wrong diameter though, also if you try to strech it then this reduces the diameter.

You could try a bit of washing up liquid on the line as well.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Go with the pole elastic diamond eye threader. Not all line of the same strength has the same diameter, mono, copolymer etc are all different in diameter for line strength. Somelines are also more suple and this makes them harder to thread along tubing. Also useful if using longish anti-tangle tubing, weather using soft tubing of more rigid tubing.

Max

Reaction score
Sorry i meant if strech the tubing, but i think i may try the pole elastic threader as i never thought of that one.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Guys have you tried the fox Tungsten tubing it is really easy to thread and is so supple and best of all sinks like a stone
atomic-tungstentubing.jpg

Atonic and Grdner also do this tubibng

F

Frothey

out of interest, unless you are using single hookbaits and long supple hooklengths, why use tubing?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Fish saftey as a rubbing leader stopping the main line fron pinging scales off the side flanks of the fish.

Alsoall manor of rigs if not set up correctly can easily tangle around the main line during the cast so the anti tangle properties are important in terms of correct rig placement and effectiveness on the lake bottom

F

Frothey

do we use tubing when freelining/floater fishing? and there's more pressure on the line, and at a greater angle yet I never seem to damage fish. and what about fishing zigs.....?

as people rarely seem to fish single hookbaits (which is why i made the exception) how is the link going to tangle when using bags/sticks? with the hookbaitattached to it.even a couple of bait stringer seems to cut tangles down to virtually zero.....

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey you have to look at the bigger picture here, you and I are I would like to say arevery skilled and proficient carp anglers, who are awareof rig mechanics and what needs to be done to make a rig wok effectively. There are many who are not at that stage yet so we have to be careful when answering questions cart blanch without any prefix to hang the question upon.The rig tubing as I said can manage several thingsat once anti tangle , Rubbing leader and pinning the front part of the tube to the floor camouflage.No we do not use a leader when floater fishing or zigging nor a myriad of other scenarios that one could discuss but we are not writing a book here were talking about threading rig tubing.And for yourinformation 90% of the time I only ever use small single baits even 6mm boilies pellets and 4mm fake pellets to great success. I have however seen angler cast in such a manor (with no idea of line management) that even the best of rigs get mangled.We must always be aware of anglers who are still learning their water and rig craft and always endeavour to promotefish welfare and care , because without carp you aren’t fishing you are camping.

F

Frothey

thing is Ian, as you know, a lot of these thing stem back from when ultra supplebraid/multistrandlinks werewidely used, and hooklengths were also much longer than most people fish them now - 12" was a short link back then! It's actually quite difficult to tangle 6"of coated braid.... yet "we" still think we're going to get tangles without it - even when using bags.

funnily enough, "pleasure" anglers don't seem to get too many tangles with 4ft fine mono hooklengths do they. wierd isn't it?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey pleasure anglers use light baits and small hooks . carp anglers use heavy leads and even heavier PVA bags which causes all sorts of out of balance casting issues.

You are going to have to come out with me and see how the great unwashed fish at the average day ticket runs waterit can be a real eye openner.

A local water did a thorough rig check of 52 anglers 49 had to change there rigs and three were asked to leave the water instantly.

Now the rules on the lake are very very fair so it just goes to show how easily it is to get it so badly wrong.

LOL

Tight lines & safe rigs

Reaction score
Ian , how many of the 52 rigs did you see ?

I ask this ,not to be a smart arse but becouse I was a member of a well known local club for about 9 years and in that time : leadcore was banned and reinstated about a year later.

The same with braid , barbed hooks , and nuts ( includeding tiger nuts , unless you were fishing at the water with the british record in , in which case you were deemed to know what you were up to and allowed to use tiger nuts) , after 2 years membership and paying an extra £50 membership , you had that knowledge ??

What I am trying to say is that the club didn`t make its own mind up , it just went with the fashion / fad at the time ./forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Les

I am a bailiff but not for the water I mentioned. The report about the rig checkcame from three independant sources including the owner.

The rules are simple<ul>[*]No litter will be tolerated. You will be asked to leave if there is litter in, or around, your swim. [*]Only marked pegs may be fished, no swim building or clearing is permitted. [*]All fish caught must be returned to the water as soon as possible. <ul>[*]No sacks or keep nets. [/list][*]No bait boats. [*]No braided main line can be used. [*]No unattended rods. [*]BARBED hooks only you will be checked! [*]No particles are permitted <ul>[*]Except hemp, corn/maize and pellets. [/list][*]All anglers must use a large padded unhooking mat. [*]A height barrier is in place at this fishery, take care. [/list]

I think these are simple enough to follow ?.

C

Cakey

must admit I use tubing, flyback leads and back leads and Ive not damaged a fish yet but I can see where you are all coming from...........................

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Gemson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Frothey pleasure anglers use light baits and small hooks . carp anglers use heavy leads and even heavier PVA bags which causes all sorts of out of balance casting issues.
</blockquote>

i still dont get how pva bags cause tangles.... dont they nick the bait into the bag? as for pleasure anglers not using heavy leads, baits and hooks, just look at some of the rigs used for barbel/chub in the big rivers - long hooklengths, 4oz+ leads/feeders and big cubes of meat. balance comes from the tackle, size 14 hook, three bits of corn on a 3lb hooklength and 4lb mainline on a light quiver rod is just as "bad" as what we use

plenty of the "great unwashed" fish the waters I do, but there's plentywho read threads/pose questions that aren't - we dont have to cater to the "lowest common denominator"....