Barbel Newboy

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,I am a very new novice and have just bought my rod/reel etc. for Barbel Fishing. I live in Hereford and will be fishing the Wye. Have any of you experts got a few top tips to give a newboy? I really want to learn by doing but would welcome any advice anyone would care to give.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Keep it simple, don't get sucked in by overly complicated rigs. Concentrate on learning where the fish are, location is 80% of the battle. Look for snags like trees fallen in the river or overhanging trees, creases between faster water and deeper, slower sections and weed beds.

A simple running rig with a few different baits to try, maybe halibut pellets, luncheon meat and a natural bait like maggots or lob worms.

Don't be worried about moving pegs, in fact mobility is a bonus. If you're only fishing for a day session you will have more success by finding the fish rather than waiting for them to find you. Give each swim 20 minutes or so, if there's no action then move on.

I often use small PVA bags made up before I set out, put a selection of your hookbaits for the day inside (not so easy with maggots & worms but ok for pellets). These will trickle down stream from your hookbait into the snag or under the tree etc...

Make sure if you're starting to fish for them in the summer that you don't keep them out of the water for long and when returning them be prepared to support them in the flow until they are fully recovered. Barbel are particularly succeptable to exhaustion in warm weather when the water's oxygen content is lower. They can seem ok to go and then turn belly up out of reach in the middle of the river.

Hope that's helpful.

Keith M

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Howarth wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Blimey, did it really take me over 20 minutes to write that?

I am watching telly at the same time /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. </blockquote>

Barbel anglersare usually 'multi-tasking'they canusually doseveral other things while touch legering. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, really appreciated. Ive been doing as much homework as i can before the season starts, but like anything else its the doing that really counts. Thanks for all your advice, i willbe reading all the articles you have highlighted plus keeping my eye out for anything else.

My local tackle shop, where i bought my kit, has been really helpful as well so i feel i'm heading and only heading mind you in the right direction. I am really looking forward to getting started. One thing is really clear though, keep it simple seems to be everyone's advice.

Thanks all once again.

M

M&B

Watch your rod, barbel can give savage bites, one minute your sitting there at peace with the world then suddenly the butt of your nice new rod is disapearing into the murkey depths.

M

magicdog

You have a mighty fine Barbel river with the Wye - I fish it occasionally and by PB is 11lb...it took me 30 minutes to land in the powerful flow...!

Use a decent strength line - I upped from 8 to 10lb for the coming season and Iknow some who use 12lb.

As M&B says keep a close eye on your rod and if you have a penchant for nodding off (don't we all?), use a highish front rest and keep the rod butt on your leg so you can be instantly woken if you get a bite.

A 6lb Barbel in a river like the Wye is quite capable of pulling in your entire rod and reel, never to be seen again and not good for the fish either.

Tight lines.

D

Dave Burr

Magicdog

If you take 30 minutes to land a barbel you really aren't giving it enough stick. I'm not having a go at you, I mean this sincerely to you and anybody that fishes for barbel.

If you have a 1 1/2 lb test rod matched with 8 or 10lb line you should have a double figure barbel in the net inside 3 minutes, 5 at the maximum. I have caught countless barbel from the fastest sections of the river and have never taken more than perhaps 3 minutes to land one.

Last summer I had a 26lb carp on my 1lb 6oz tc avon rod and 10lb line, it was the hardest fight I have ever had from an English fish and it was on the bank in about 5 minutes. I spoke to another angler on that water today who had the same fish on a 2lb tc rod and he claims it took him 20 minutes to land it!

If you have any doubts about your tackle try this, stick the hook into a fence post, stand back a few yards and, with the clutch set at your fighting weight, then put a bend in the rod and I mean a proper bend! Carbon is designed to bend, 10lb line takes a hell of a lot of stick and I doubt that you can break it with a barbel rod. If your gear is balanced you can give it some real stick and nothing is going to break.

When you are playing a big barbel you can get it out of the main current and let it fight the rest of the battle in front of you. If the rivers too fast where you hook it then walk it up or down river to a calmer spot.

If you play a fish for too long in hot conditions you may well be killing that fish. Enjoy the fight by all means but get that rod bent and bugger out as soon as possible.

preston96

Reaction score
Good post Dave...................i also have no problem landing barbel, i have never had to play one for 30mins!! .............

River carp to just over 30lb...........incredible first runs but still landed in about 5mins like yours.

Rob.....if you are still about on FM during the river season and still need help....i am often in Hereford.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, that's very kind and much appreciated. I'll be about and no doubt will have more and more questions as the season goes on. Have a good season.

M

magicdog

I realise 30 minutes is not ideal and it was an unusually long time but the temperature was only 11c and it was raining so I felt the fish was not harmed.

In my defence, I had made the mistake of using the previous season's line and was a bit wary of my 8lb giving way, leaving the fish with a hook and line dragging.

Must try harder.../forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif