Sapphire Lakes

• Thread starter Sir Steven Blanksalot
  • Start date
S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Has anyone fished Sapphire Lakes in Cromwell, Notts. Can you give me any advise on tactics, baits, rigs etc? Cheers!

R

Rob Brownfield

Yep...when you get there, speak to the regulares...and then ignore them and do your own thing :)

You will see two islands in the middle. There is a bar between them. Locals insisted the only place to catch was to the back of the bar. Fished 4 days there with a mate. I had a fish in the margins within 20 minutes of starting. The rods on the bar did not do a thing for two days. My mate Steve decided enough was enough. He started to cast to the left of the left island..ie, the opposite of where the bar is. 11 fish in asmany hours. I dropped well short of the bar, 6 fish. Locals...not a run between them :)

Right infront of the house is a swim that you have to climb down a steep embankment to get to. There is a plateaux infront to the left..about 20 yards out...good for twentys and multiple catches normally. Swims next to the back bank (out of bounds) can be good as you can fish to the treeline or.....if u are feeling brave...the back of the bar!

Bait was fishmeals, Premier baits with Peach Melba or Spiced Bun!. Locals were using Enervite Gold with Aesofetida and Cranberry...YUK! I have heard that BFM was doing well there.

We have also had fish off the top to normal floater tactics. Seems to be a dead art there...with everyone fishing the bar, even with fish at ther feet on the surface!

Hope this helps a little...

R

Rob Brownfield

Ps....that was the first trip...trips since then have yielded fish from most swims...but not the bar!