Looking to buy a pole

david smith 25

Reaction score
New to pole fishing, looking to buy my 1st pole.

Looking to spend circa £200-400

Most of the fishing will be done at around 11-14.5m, but my friend strongly suggests getting a 16m pole rather than a 14.5m even though i won't be fishin at that distance.

Help welcome, poles recommended etc....

cheers

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Have alook at the new Maver range of poles, they have some cracking deals.

sagalout

Reaction score
It's really confusing ain't it. I have just bought my first pole this week (haven't fished it yet) so I can't advise, but I set the budget at te £200 mark and then spent another £50 on all the "essentials".

I wanted a pole for silvers and carp. I tried (in the shops) Maver, Diawa and Map and would like to have tried a Shimano but could not locate one in stock within a reasonable distance.

Shame you have the Maver hangup because that seemed to the total pole know nothing that is me to be the best in terms of weight, balance, stiffness and value.

Happy searching!

Quiver man

Reaction score
You wont find a useable pole at 16m on your budget. You should be able to buy a shimano exage AX which is a good all rounder , for £350-£400 which is 14.5m although using ANY pole straight out the box if you havent used one beforeat that length will be tough. The MAP TKS range has some good reviews, but I havent tried one.

L

Laurie Harper

Maver are actually made, as are the majority of Italian poles, by a firm called Reglass (as are the newer Preston poles - which used to be made by a French company, Lerc). As Saga says, Maver are good value and widely available. MAP rods and poles are made by Garbolino, incidentally. A lot of brands are merely labels - firms deesign and specify, but have them made by the relatively few actual manufacturers. Daiwa manufacture their own, too - one of 2 UK companies who do (the other is Tri-Cast). So do Shimano.

The advice about avoiding cheap 16m poles is very sound. You'll rarely use the 16 mt extension. I relatively rarely use mine at 14.5. Essentially, all the major names have good poles in every price bracket - the technology is mature. It boils down to preference and availability, really.

peter crabtree 2

Reaction score
shimano exage 14.5m comes with 2 match top 3s and 2 power top 3s,great pole for beginner, and stiff and light.If you just need it for carp check out the new DiawaTDSR2 12.5m. 3 power top twos promo price £399.

david smith 25

Reaction score
obviously/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

hence why i'm asking in the other thread/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

A

alan whittington

David,please go to a decent tackle shop and have a feel of the different price range poles dont tell them you cant afford them,because then you will see what the difference is and what you are looking for in your pole,stiffness,lightness and strength of wall are major considerations,very often you would end up buying say a 16m pole to actually get a fishable 14.5m one.But do look around for deals,you may still find that t.s. will be favourable.All the best Alan.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Peter has it right, I bought a Shimano Exage from Fosters, 14.5 metres 2 match tops 2 power tops plus a cupping kit for £360 but make sure you order the old version not the new one (they have both). Its a bargain and a cracking good pole.