HOME MADE BOILIES

CRITTER

Reaction score
now i havent been here for a long time,so here goes...........

just recently i have been turning my attentions back to home made boilies weather its down to the credit crunch or weather its down to trying my own baits its a bit of both,as i keep lots of flavours and addatives in the one cubard in the kitchen thats mine and not the wifes,i thought it was time to clutter her sides with mixing bowls and smelly tubs and get back into carp mode as the new season isnt far away.

now i could rattle on for ages about why fresh baits are better than shelf life but to be honnest i have cought some nice catches on tailor made baits (shelf life),but over the time i have been away i have been using pro fruit boilies from premier baits,wich contain my own addatives and extras picked from the site,and to be honest i have had better fish with them ,draw back being expense that i could do without at the moment but i suppose that its not just me feeling the pinch!so i have been messing around the kitchen and playing around with a few ideas that i have had in the back of my mind and note book but havent done ,and what i ended up with was a great bait,and one that is simple and if your willing to put some time in you may be supprised.

now im not saying my mix is cheap but just sum it up........

10kg from premier baits.....around £80 depending on the base mix and addatives thats the full price deliverd,10 KILO BEING MINIMUM ORDER!

my mix minus time preping around £25/£30.

you may be able to make cheeper depending on what you use and what amount you need,me i favour prebaiting so need quite a bit.

right before i start with my mix i am going to say each and everyone of you will have pros and cons about your own mixes but this is one of my mixes that i dared to try and it has worked !!!!

MY MIX........

half a bag of richworth 50/50 base mix(left from a method mix i have been playing with)

2 kilo of sunflower seeds

4 kilo of peanuts(not salted or roasted but plane from a local pet shop as bird feed)

salmon oil

and if you want some bait dye powder?

and last but not least eggs.

now the bit that gets you in trouble with the wife(it did for me).......get out the blender...

crush up the sun flower seeds,then the peanuts...takes time but your left with a base mix you can play with

mix both crushed seeds and peanuts together adding the 50/50.next step crack your eggs into a bowl,how meany depends on how much bait your wanting to make ,add the salmon oil again depending how much bait your making but be warned dont go mad you dont need lots,bait dye if your using some but i dont as its a great bait natural.

CRITTER

Reaction score
then add your base mix,bit at a time till you get it so its just right ,not to tacky best way is to check by pulling a small bit of the dough ball and role it in your hand it should just hold together.

when you get it right its into a gun ,i have a morta gun that came my way as of back builders wagon ,its got an alloy tube and big nozzles but it is easy to make your own i prefer baits round 20-24mm ,you will find your own preference,

role your baits then boil,cool then freeze.

job done ,feel free to try for your self but dont be afraid in trying your own mixes who knows that elusive double may take a liking to your bait?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>CRITTER wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

4 kilo of peanuts(not salted or roasted but plane from a local pet shop as bird feed)</blockquote>

You should NOT use bird feed peanuts for carp fishing !!!!

You could possiblyKILL ALL THE FISH in the waters thatyou fish,they have obviously been downgraded to animal status for a reason and the reason will be because they are suspected of being contaminated with AFLATOXIN which can kill and in some cases can be carcinogenic

C

Cakey

that recipe should be deleted or amended before someone uses it !

they have to be human grade

tank

Reaction score
well for me i cant be bothered with making them yet i having to much fun on the pool!!! but maybe i will try one day if i get the time

Eddy Hoodless 2

Reaction score
If your bait making exploits are a tad expensive because of the credit crunch here is a reciepe for you thats cheap and works , I have used this stuff for years (amongst others)

I have rolled baits to the size of walnuts and depending on how long you boil it for it can remain a paste inside a skin,handy sometimes.

1 tin of fishy cat food anyone will do as long as its fishy

6 eggs

breadcrumbs to dry it out

1 levelteaspoon of yeast ( active yeast for cake making)

1 teaspoon of mixed spices ,the stuff for making cakes (5 spices)

mix it till a paste is formed and thats it roll away and boil for a couple of mins

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Eddy, Here is my recipe, Carp & Cat Bait, (Still working on recipe)1 cup white flour2 cups whole wheat flour2 cups Wheaties cereal, (crushed fairly fine)1 can cat food2 Table spoons Caro syrup (mixed with some warm water)More water as need to make stiff pasteKnead till well mixedDivide up and freeze Stays on hook wellHaven’t tried as boilie yetIf you try it let me know results

Frothey

Reaction score
not exactly a decent mix though. cheap is fine, but i'd rather pay an extra couple of quid and get something decent!

10kg of Amino's inc 500ml oil from Premier is £50. that'll make about 14kg bait, which even if you add the cost of eggs is only about £3.70 per kilo. I know what I'd rather use!