Freezing Particles

J

Jon Peplow

Can anyone advise me if I would be able freeze maple peas after preparation, if so for how long?

K

Kev Richmond

I freeze my maples after I have cooked up a batch. Some will say that they are best straight after cooking, some will say after three days of fermenting in a bucket, some will say use flavours, some will say use no flavours. I have tried all these and have caught carp on all of them! I have noticed that they are slower to produce initially than (say) tigers on my water, yet when they get recognised as a good food source, the bigger fish seem to come out on them.

As to how long freezing, I use mine in rotation so they are hardly in the freezer for more than a couple of weeks. I see no reason why they will not stay effective (and frozen) for a number of months.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Jon, I've had hemp in my freezer for well over a year, so no issues in my opinion. I've just soaked and cooked a load of particles: Tigers/Maize/Peanuts and pidgeion conditioner. That in my opinion can stay in there for as long as the hemp did if required.

C

Carp Angler

If you're going to freeze maples then ensure that they have enough juice covering them, if not, after a prolonged period then the ice crystals come out of the bait and they tend to float.
I've also noticed this with tigers.
Thawing them in water/fluid doesn't rehydrate them enough to sink them either.

J

Jon Peplow

Thanks Carp angler I was only going to freeze them for about 1 week should i still have the juice over them.

C

Carp Angler

I'd leave the juice on them, it's the stewing in their own juices that makes maples so attractive.
That dark brown foam on the top that stains everything....yummy.

Allow more time for defrosting if you include the juice.

Freezing them without the juice is too hit and miss to make floaters from them as well.

I know, I've tried.