Trouble with reeds.

• Thread starter Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my
  • Start date
D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

As we have a fountain of knowledge on this forum, I wonder if you can help me, my local club lake has a problem with Norfolk reed and Reed mace (Bull rush), what is the best way to remove these as the Norfolk reed especially is getting out of control.

I've been told that you can cut this reed 3 or 4 inches below the water then again a few weeks later to 'drown' it, is this so or do you have to cut it just above the roots or pull the whole lot out?

chub angler

Reaction score
when allowed we wade in and pull them up because if you cut them you still have the snags bellow if you know what I mean

D

Cheers Chub but we're talking about may be 1/4 acre of a bay that's now choked and we've only got 3 work parties to sort it out.

Thanks for the reply /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

They grow from rhizomes --so you need to get down in the mud/silt and drag them out ---and it's not an easy job !!

The rhizomes grow horizontally along the bottom in the mud and throw shoots up every so far along so they will nearly always grow back as any pieces of the rhizome thatare left will just sprout again .......

D

Thanks for that ED, that's what I thought, looks like we've got our work cut out!

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Dal, I'm thinking you might cover the over with black plastig sheeting to block off their light, (Kill them), would want to mark the edges, can buy in long lengths & wide widths. Just bend them over and cover them up.

Just a thought., Tight lines

D

Catfishingham, good idea but Norfolk reed grows about 6 foot plus above the water line and as ED says needs to have the roots pulled out continually to get rid of them.

Thanks for your suggestion though

C

Cakey

Dal your missing out on earning some money.....................sellit !

good quality reed last approx 70 years on a roof

and Ive seen some superb floats made from it

D

That's a darn good idea Mr. Cakey, I'm sure there's some old paint and varnish in my garage, fancy a job?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

yes please ......................................................not

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
ummm reed floats now theres a idea .... not done any for days /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifok the ones i've just done ,arnt quite the same as these ( everyones different ) but heres some other ones too feed your eyes on
02_1-1.jpg

take you no time to whip up some ....