Trapping Sticklebacks

Lewi Edmond

Reaction score
hi guys i set a small trap out in my lake to catch stickleback i use catfood as bait but i only caught about 5 over 24 hours but i need more theres 120 in there when we got them 2 years ago help please

lewi

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
What do you need all those sticklebacks for,they are in serious decline in some places,personally I would leave them alone,unless it is for conservation purposes.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
may i suggest that you check the trap more regularly? assuming i've read it right, in that you put the trap out yesterday, and checked it this morning? i would have thought too many trapped fish looking distressed would put the others off?

just my thoughts, but i'm no expert.

would also love to know what you need them for?

chub angler

Reaction score
What are you going to do with the Sticklebacks once you have caught them Lewi?.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
And just what does your mate need them for? They are becoming rarer than hen's teeth in our area. I hope they're not being used for bait.... there are other alternatives that ought to be considered before using what seems to be a rather endangered species.

We have minnows in abundance, but our native sticklebacks are becoming rather rare. I suggest your mate goes to his local tackle shop and tries to source something with no environmental impact.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Lewi, you sound a reasonable bloke, tell your mate you didnt get anymore.

Sticklebacks are in serious decline.

The bad one

Reaction score
Notwithstanding the above, it should also be noted that if your mate, the one you are selling them to, is putting them in any waterbody in England and Wales, he needs a Section 30 from the EA to do it. Failure to gain the Section 30 for transferring fish and/or transferring fish without it is a criminal offence.

You yourself could be deemed as a fish dealer because money is changing hands and asked to justify why you have not requested/applied for said documentation and not surrendered 5% of the stock being sold/transferred for disease testing.

Further to this is the question of whether you are legally taking the fish from the water where they currently reside. The law here is quite clear, if those fish are being taken from an enclosed water (pond, lake, canal, reservoir), without the landowner's permission to take said fish, you are committing Theft under the Theft Act, again a criminal offence.

chub angler

Reaction score
you still need permision and the paperwork from the EA Lewi. And What does your mate want 120 stickle backs for. Are they going to put them in their own pond/lake or do they want them for bait?.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Perfectly reasonable questions Jim.

What happens if they are introduced to another lake and carry a disease with them?

The fish in Lewi's lake may have developed an immunity to it.

Then again they may not but that's part of what the EA permission is required for.

The bad one

Reaction score
Jim the guy asked for help! It's therefore fair and reasonable to point out the possible ramifications of what he was proposing to do.

As it's you first post, it's what members on here will do if someone asks for help.

I find your comment "Tell them to mind their own Lewi" not helpful or encouraging of members to give that help.