J.W. Martin

coelacanth

Reaction score
Saw this while looking for something else, thought it might appeal to someone on here with a passion for angling literature. I'd like it but it's more thanI feel comfortable paying.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?catalog=HighStDonated&product=116119

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Coelacanth, wonderful anecdotal fishing book, as are all the rest of his books. I am very lucky, I have them all, and every one a treasure. Ron and I were only discussing the other day some of these early angling books, titles such as ''Book of the Roach'' by Greville Fennell. ''Anglers Instructor'' by William Bailey. ''Angling'' by Thomas Tyson and ''A Mixed Bag'' by William Senior (Red Spinner) and many more, all well over a hundred years old, and still a delight to read.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One of the best in its time was The Angler's Instructor.

William Bailey was described as pompous and choleric, and after reading Derek's First edition, I think those words are true. Yet some of his advice is pretty sound today, especially his comments on the best weather for piking.

Many of the younger anglers of today havemore than a tendency to discount these old writers; yet they are worth reading make no mistake, if only for entertainment.

coelacanth

Reaction score
I'm just naffed off I haven't been able to find my copy of "Rod And Line" for a good few years, think it went astrayduring one of my relocations,got it for pennies, no chance I'm going tocough upwhat's being asked for a comparable copy now, just on principle.