keepnet ban

tank

Reaction score
I've been reading up on the net of a few places to fish lately and i must admit a lot of them are banning the use of keep-nets, why is this?

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Harm to the fish: stress from being constrained; physical damage to fins, slime and scales from the net mesh and rings; oxygen starvation/overheating from being kept in warm, shallow water for hours; crushing from hauling it out of the water onto the bank to admire your day's catch; attacks from pike. Shall I go on?! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Xplorer1 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Harm to the fish: stress from being constrained; physical damage to fins, slime and scales from the net mesh and rings; oxygen starvation/overheating from being kept in warm, shallow water for hours; crushing from hauling it out of the water onto the bank to admire your day's catch; attacks from pike. Shall I go on?! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Thats this discussion over!

Best just to ban angling altogether then..............?

/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

E

EC

Hooks. Are they more damaging than keepnets?

Edit: to answer the question, I'm not sure why they are banned, I suspect different fisheries have their own reasons.

Ican see the sense in some regulation, especially when it is warm for example, howeverin my mind, education is the answer, knowing when/how/when not to use a keepnet is the best solution.

Reaction score
Now EC - are you referring to barbed hooks - barbs but don't wobble.. or barbless -no barbs but damaging wobble? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

An interesting question though Eddie.....properly handled neither should cause anything more than absolute minimal discomfort to a fish.

Does the new, inexperienced or "careless" angler cause more damage with a hook or a keepnet?

In response to tanks question - many waters ban the use of keepnets for the reasons which are, perhaps very graphically, summed up by Xplorer. Some clubs ban keepnets completely, others stipulate certain conditions in terms of size of fish kept in the net and the length of time they are held in the net. (Although I don't know of any such clubs who have a "net patrol bailiff" to strictly enforce these conditions)

Personally I do not use keepnets (although I possess two which I bought relatively recently). I fish waters which have bans on them or I fish in a way where I choose not to use the nets but return each fish as soon as caught - ideally unhooking them in the landing net and returning them with the minimum of contact from me. I have the nets because I do realise that there may be times when I am in a competition - and nets are allowed - where I would choose to use them.

provided keepnets are properly staked out and the condition of the fish is the prime concern then I see no reason why, if rules allow, an individual cannot choose to use a keepnet.

The key issue is fish safety - if all conditions are fulfilled then it is an individuals decision.

I have chosen not to use them for the last 20 years.

Poshers

W

Wolfman Woody

There's a lot of scary talk about nets of all sorts spreading diseases and both fishery managers and clubs are frightened that someone will introduce a disease through a net that's been used on a diseased fishery elsewhere.

It's poppycock, mostly. The chances of introducing a disease via a net are as likely as finding an alien planet within easy reach of Earth, but best not to go there eh?

A lot of commercials started introducing dips, but the big trouble is, the nets need to be soaked for 30 minutes or more and in FRESH solution. The managers couldn't be bothered to keep replacing the solution and they have no faith in anglers drying their nets, which is the best form of disease prevention. So, the best solution (pardon the pun) is to ban keepnets at least.

From a personal perspective, I no longer use keepnets except when fishing the annual Clattercote match and even then I don't use them, mainly because I catch nothing to put in them. I suppose the only other time I would use them is when I would be fishing for roach and bream etc. on a river. The captured fish have a better chance of survival IMO if all released at the same time rather than being let go one at a time for the waiting pike to feed on.

Otherwise, I don't miss them at all.

Specihunter

Reaction score
It's because<u>MORONS</u> abuse them. And yes I have witnessed it watched 2 lads fill up a keepnet with carp then wandering offnot long after that,thankfully the owner came down and threw them off .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree with EC.

A properly sited, well staked-out keepnet does no harm whatsoever - educate the moronic element to use them properly and the problem (perceived or otherwise) disappears!

Before anglers even begin to support a 'ban' on keepenets maybe they should look a little deeper at this being the thin end of the wedge - the antis will love you for it though.

D

Dave Slater

I don't own one and can't see the need for them. Why retain loads of fish? What does it achieve? ....and if you need to photograph a specimen you don't need a keepnet.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Interesting old chestnut this one.Anglers perception has changed over the last 25+ years, whereas in the past almost everyone used keepnets, and now it is frowned upon much in the same way as smoking.

I rarely use a keepnet these days, although I always carry one, and can see no harm in the responsible use of a net & especially release of the fish back into the water. I do use a keepnet when roach & dace fishing on rivers as I feel it can disturb the shoal, and if you have spent a couple of hours lining them up, it is counter productive.

On the rare occasions that I have encountered a shoal of good size perch, returning fish can be the "kiss of death", but down this end of the world it is a rare occasion.

C

Cakey

Im the same................ ban all keep nets

Ive seen over a hundred pound of bream dragged out the water ................would you like to be the bottom one ?

its ok saying its a minority that does it but I dont beleive that I think average joe wants to keep all he gets and then show off his catch to everyone that is willing to look

John Heelis

Reaction score
Don't own one, don't need one. Don't fish matches, so i don't need to weigh them plus I can count (until I run out of fingers) how many i've caught.

I would imagine that places that ban keep nets are doing so to minimise the damage/stress to their fish stocks. But I do agree that the most damage done to fish (by human) is done by irrisponsable anglers (both with and without keepnets)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I never use a keepnet but I have no objection whatsover to their proper use, as others have said it is the morons who abuse the use of it that spoil it for the rest. Certainly in very hot spells the use of a keepnet should be discouraged but at other times and providing it is used sensibly then its ok as far as I am concerned.

Posts like xplorer1's are just repitition of anti keepnet fans views without stopping and thinking what the real caring angler does much like saying barbless hooks are better than barbed or braid hooklengths damages fishes mouth where the proof of this just doesn't exist. Used sensibly a keepnet isn't a problem, used by ignorant anglers who care nothing for the fishes welfare then it is a problem but they damage fish in many ways not just misusing a keepnet.

L

Laurie Harper

Graham sums it up very well. There's nothing wrong with responsible, sensible use of keepnets, but sadly, too manydon't take the trouble to do things properly. Fisheries are faced with the choice of having to regularly patrol and monitor the useof nets or bannning them. Given the expense and inconvenience of having people (assuming you have them - many clubs find it difficult to get enough bailiffs) constantly checking up, it's not really surprising a number opt for a ban.

To be fair, many allow their use in matches, which is the only time you really need to use one.

C

Cakey

xplorer is entitle to a view the same as you or me ............................just that mine dont count /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
How many fish is it safe to put in a keep net?. How long can you keep them in there for? What water temp is too high to use one. Would a pound perch eat a small bleak if they were in the same net?.If keepnets are banned how do you know who has won a match.I think we need more published articles on safekeepnet use. Because a lot of the problems arise from ignorance/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif.

Reaction score
Ah Chubby old bean!

Please ensure they are properly referenced articles from respected scientific journals not speculative diatribe from popular sport journals whose sole motive is driving up sales whatever the cost to the sport!

Now stop it Poshers - - I may be accused of making mischief /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
That's true Paul I should have said Get the Environment Agency to publish it.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
It just goes to showhow the "nanny" statehas taken over ourlives, rather than trying to educate people into using common sense there is a hue and cry by the vociferous minority to ban and regulate all and any practice that they disagree with.

I will grant you that there are individuals who have little respect for fish & the environment, but surely it is down to the rest of us to educate them or ensure that they are not allowed to use our waters.

As in most areas, the currentidea seems to be to make the rest of responsible society jump through more & more hoops, rather than address the individuals