Buying hooks of fleabay

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I paid £3.60 per pack plus 25p postage of Kamasan maxx carp hooks sizes from 2 to 5, it would have only worked out cheaper as I never had to drive to my local tackle shop to get them. I used them when I went fishing for cats on a 24 hour session monday just gone and I was loosing fish left right and center and missing runs and fish dropping the hook after a few seconds but after nearly pulling my hair out/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif I inspected my rigs and yep a blunt hook on one rod and a bent tip on the other rod, I then inspected all the rig`s I`d made up from the fleabay hooks and out of 6 packets in total so some 60 qty of hooks in total only 11 of them were worth using, I was pi**ed off to say the least and now that fleabay seller is no longer a trader. So at least I`d like to warn others when buying hooks from fleabay nor any other end tackle, from now on I will stick to the tackle shop`s as at least you can take them back for a refund or exchange

Has anyone else had this experience on ebay ?

chub angler

Reaction score
Jr poor show you'd think Kamasan hooks would be good Bl**dy shame you cant get your money back Thanks for the warning about them.

chub angler

Reaction score
It might be worth a try you never know they might send you some free hooks but I dont know Ive never had problems with them.

W

Wolfman Woody

Did the packets look genuine and what of the inserts? Were they looking like they were scanned images?

It's been a common occurance for rogues to be selling "Rapala" lures when in fact they are cheapo Hong Kong rubbish in a plastic pack with a scanned image and printed label on the front. Keep your eyes peeled, the villains are out there.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I must admit i`ve had the fleabay bought hooks next to the shop bought hooks and they are exactly the same and the packets are the real macoy too unfortunatly

W

Wolfman Woody

Well, even the great Walker said he used to test every hook before he'd put it to use.

(Gosh, I feel like I've just done a 'Ron' again, quoting Walker.)

F

Frothey

^^ about to say the same thing - can't believe you didn't check them when tying the rig.

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I will be getting the magnifying glass out inspecting them all for any faulty hook`s woody & frothey but the thing is I can`t believe i`ve never checked before as it could be that big fish hooked when the hook fail`s./forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif I`m waiting for cakey to slant me over this as I remember him posting a pic in his thread or post of a shoddy faulty hook with a chunk missing from just below the eye. We learn by our mistake`s as they say

tank

Reaction score
well i don't get my hooks off eBay and now i'm glad i don't. its OK saving some money but if there poor quality like that then I'm happy to pay a few quid each packet for pre tied hairs of even 90p for just simple eyed hooks down at the local tackle shop

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
NO NO NO NO not pre-tied hair rig`s!! If it snap`s who do you blame then manufacturer or you for not taking the time to make your own and modifying them. I`d happily spent a couple of hour`s a night oncea week making up my own hair rig`s( but not obviously taking care to properly check my hook`s/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif) Knotless knot to fix the hook and double looped loop to slip over the swivel (this can easilty be changed for a new rig without cutting anything and a double grinner knot(never slip`s and work`s superb with braid) on the mainline to the swivel or which ever rig you want to make. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Walker also gave these words of advice; "It's good but it's not right!".

That's Roy Walker, Catchphrase 1976.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Amazing isn't it, £300.00 for the rod and reel,£80.00 for the Bite alarm, £80.00 for the seat we're sitting on, and then we begrudge £0.10p for a blo*dy hook, which along with the line are the most important bits of tackle.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>tank wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>well i don't get my hooks off eBay and now i'm glad i don't. its OK saving some money but if there poor quality like that then I'm happy to pay a few quid each packet for pre tied hairs of even 90p for just simple eyed hooks down at the local tackle shop</blockquote>

what makes you think they have checked the hook?

S

Scott Whatmore

I buy some things off e-Bay and over the internet. But some things I buy only from the shop. That way I can get a look at them. Any problems and they can be taken back.

For hooks, which for me is about £1.10 a pack of 10, is there any difference in the price once postage has been applied?

Buying local = keeping your tackle shop local

Reaction score
There's a particular Kamasan pattern I cannot get through my local tackle shop...so I ebay those. Good supplier who has not let me down. Normally always use local tackle shop for hooks.