Hooklengths - How do you attach yours?

Old Nick

Reaction score
I have recently been doing a lot of waggler fishing and because I was always taught that knots weaken the line, I have not been using a hooklength but using the same line straight through to the hook. The consequence of this is that I have several spools of various strength line (2.5lb, 3.0lb, 4.0 and 5.0lb) and am regularly respooling, which is costly and a pain in the backside!

As the line is very fine, I find knot tying quite fiddly and am not 100% comfortable with tying one line to another as I don't feel confident that it will hold (although I have never had a hook knot go on me yet).

I was thinking of using micro swivels, but thats two extra knots, is that weakening the line significantly? loops seem untidy, and a blood knot looks fiddly to tie at the lake side.

What do you think is the best method of attaching the hooklength that doesn't weaken the line?

redalert06

Reaction score
loop in main line, loop in hooklength, loop to loop the two.

new_loop_to_loop.gif

preston96

Reaction score
This year i used the loop method a few times for light line tactics.........i was plagued by line twist, so reverted to either a tiny swivel or the water knot.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm intrigued, I've never suffered from line twist due to the loops. The only time I've ever had line twist is when fishing double caster with very light hooklinks.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Loop to loop works fine for me when waggler fishing

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Depends on the line, many lines are at their strongest with a particular knot, and many lines have the correct knot to be used on the pack, but i never use loop to loop.

W

will spencer

old nick are you using a hi tech pre stretched line or something a little more supple?

Paul C

Reaction score
I always use loop to loop.

It's not the neatest set up, but it never fails, unlike many other knots can do from time to time.

It' simple and allows you to switch hooklengths without tying any new knots.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Will, I am using Trilene, Bayer, and Direct mono, I don't think any of it is pre stretched or hi tech.

Thanks to everyone for your views and advice

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Try tying two grinner/uni-knots - easier than a double blood join because you can tighten one up, then tie the other

jods

Reaction score
4 turn water knot for me as a pleasure fisherman i have the time to tie my hooks on the bank./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

If you want a very high strength knot use the double fishermans knot. I first came across this knot in the Scouts and used it all the time while caving and climbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_fisherman%27s_knot

However for quick change overs while float fishing like most of you I use the loop to loop.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Loop to loop is, I understand, the strongest, therefore there can't be much argument against it. Mini swivel on rivers and with double maggot sometimes as it will spin crazily... John, Baden-Powell was in your group wasn't he??

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Iknow I'm getting on a bit Paul butI do have fond memories of our summer camps, running around the woods at night, building aerial runways and knives that would put Crocodile Dundee to shame. Making snares for rabbits and tickling trout, I never caught any rabbits but I did get plenty of trout.

I don’t think the loop to loop knot is the strongest knot? There’s a lot been written about knots and it’s relatively easy to test one knot against another provided that when you test you use the same batch of line for all knots and your sample is large enough. Humidity is also important what dealing with polymers.

Muffin

Reaction score
I saw Dave Harrell use a different method, where he lies the 2 lenghts of line together and then creates a double overhand loop with the 2 lines, looked really neat in the video and he says it is fool proof and much better than loop to loop.

However I always use loop to loop as its easier!<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I'm intrigued, I've never suffered from line twist due to the loops. The only time I've ever had line twist is when fishing double caster with very light hooklinks.</blockquote>

I find line twist worse with the closed face abu I use Steve, so am surprised you havenot found this, but as mentioned a mini swivel is the way forward! I'm do anything for a day of line twists at the moment, but will have to wait another 2 weeks!