tips

K

kev armstrong

to learn about fishing and save money at the same time.
check the charity shops for old books on
fishing.
the infomation is still relevant for todays angler .

I picked up 72 copies of the fishermans handbook
a step by step guide to fishing
and all for only ?2
A genuine bargain packed with info
the days when they were more concerned about the fish and fishing than hightech

R

Ron Clay

I think that anyone who wishes to take up the sport should be encouraged to spend a day with a professional angler. This sort of thing is the norm in golf and in America. There are still many little tricks you can pick up by watching it being done than by reading about it.

C

Craig Smith

Well said Ron,
Fishing is definatley a practical thing, The day you stop learning is the day to give up!

K

kev armstrong

yes you are right Ron ,
but not everyone has the means to pay for professionl help .

J

JEDI (Jr) DAVE

I agree.
But there is only one RIK and so many learners!

S

Stuart Bullard

After listening to Rik at Clattercote one might say "thank God there is only one Rik" (we are talking orofice and wind issues here, not his obvious enthusiasm to help - which he and many do).

As for a professional lesson, I understand what you mean Ron, but it will never happen, so its a case of clubs and complexes initiating their own help. I have never heard a private day ticket water ever ask if the people have fished before.

And what about clubs? You use the example of golf. Well I used to play golf very seriously, and I would often be asked by my club to play a few holes with a new potential member. The first question was whether they had ever played before, if the answer was no, it was off the practice ground, not the course. Do any fishing clubs ask the same question??

We found that by doing it this way it actually encouraged people to come to the club because we cared (and this as a paying member) rather than just dismissing them because they could not play. Which a lot of clubs do (putting aside those ones which are wholly cheque book driven).

Makes me think any way.

R

Ron Clay

Thanks for the comments chaps.

There is of course a great deal that can be learned from books such as baits, rigs, floats, feeders etc as well as the habits of the different species.

However it is the mechanics of angling that can prove difficult for the beginner to learn, the most important being casting. This is the thing that puts most off. In fly fishing it's vital, or you're not going to catch a thing. In coarse fishing it can be very important except perhaps when you are using a pole.

I fished in Ireland recently and on one lake it took a 50 yards cast with a heavy feeder to get the fish.

Chucking a big heavy feeder over 50 yards would prove difficult for many. Even my companion of 50 years experience couldn't do it.

Howver 15 minutes spent with a pro would probably sort out most. That would be a small price to pay I guess.

S

Stuart Bullard

Cant disagree Ron, its just in the clubs and fishery managers hands.