hemp

darren rosie

Reaction score
is it best used in its natural form or flavoured,ie garlic,curry,chilli?, if so should they be added at the soaking stage or the cooking stage for maximum effect?

chub angler

Reaction score
Im not an expert on barbel. But I Know 3 people who use chilli flakes with there hemp and speak highly of it.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Natural for me also.

Darren why cook your Hemp?, If you soak it for 24 hours it will sink, you will always get some float, but just skim that off.

Hemp splits when cooked, we know that, but fish don't, In the wild hemp gets into the water raw, and fish eat it. I know many anglers who now don't bother to cook hemp, and they fish for Barbel, when cooking hemp you are also boiling out some of the goodness.

I use both cooked and uncooked in some of my mixes, but that has very little cooked hemp in it. If you want to add a flavour, after soaking drain off the water, put the flavour in a plastic bag and add the hemp, blow into the bag and twist the top, this will trap in the air, so the bag is like a balloon. Give it a good shake, then release the air, job done, ( I am sure you knew all that anyway)even uncooked hemp takes on the flavour.

W

Wolfman Woody

Flavour?

Boil it up with some Star Anise.

Or, after it's boiled, drain off the juices (save them for mixing with groundbait) and add some nam pla oil (Thai fish sauce). You can even put it in PVA bags then.

What can't you do to hemp?

issimmo

Reaction score
The only things I add to hemp is salt when I soak it and chilly flakes after I drain some water for groundbaiting use. I leave it in a bucket over night and in the morning I put it in sealable bags and freeze it or if I go fishing I take it as it is.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Natural for me also.

Darren why cook your Hemp?, If you soak it for 24 hours it will sink, you will always get some float, but just skim that off.

Hemp splits when cooked, we know that, but fish don't, In the wild hemp gets into the water raw, and fish eat it. I know many anglers who now don't bother to cook hemp, and they fish for Barbel, when cooking hemp you are also boiling out some of the goodness.

Fred Crouch never cooks his hemp and he's caught thousands of barbel........