The Alternative Angler ? Clattercote II

Yacko

Reaction score
That was a very good read Kevin and I guess it gave every bit of a feel for how the day went as the main write-up.

It is an interesting suggestion to have a "pairs Pro-Am type competition", it could help with getting people to mix more.If there was a way to level things out a bit that would also help- not sure how it could be done though. i.e if I was paired with Stu even I probably couldn't stop him winning!

W

Wolfman Woody

Not a bad idea, an Americano match where the pair fish together on adjacent platforms. It's the team weight that wins.

Mind you, if there's an odd number I'd probably still end up on my own. In fact, had I been one of Raquel Welch's triplets, I'd be the one on the bottle.

/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Or maybe a pairs match where one fishes for the Carp and the other for silver fish, combined weight takes the pot?

As for the date, well, history proves that May seems to be particularly difficult, so how about a date after June 16th?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

To be honest,I reckon late April would be the best bet.Bream pre -spawning and the carp waking up for a bit of a munch.

The truth is that Clattercote responds to a style of fishing that few of those who enter, my self included, can fish well enough over the six hours to frame.It isn't a water where stocking density's are so high that anyone can catch a bagful but isn't it better for it?

If you look at the distribution of the top 6 weights they were well spread between the pegs suggesting it isn't a peg issue.

If someone wants to take it seriously enough tohave a chance of winning it it then perhaps they shoud get in some practice on similar type waters to perfect casting to a fixed point at distance consistently and regularly over the course of the match?

I would certainly be up for a silvers only match here though in late autumn/winter as the bream and roach seem to be thriving.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hmmm.......

I realise after I'd written this piece that I might have got my sentiments completely wrong.

It is, after all, the 'Keith Culley Memorial Match' which just happens to be fished at Clattercote.

Perhaps. as Nigel says, we should all try to adapt our fishing to the venue, rather than try to adapt the match into more of a social gathering.

The latter course of action may be taking us away from why we are there in the first place.

Maybe there is room in the calendar for a more social get together at Clattercote, or some other venue, perhaps later in the year, where we can take things a little more light-heartedly.This would give usa chance tofish in pairs, prizes for best specimen, smallest fish, junior section, etc, etc.

How about Fish& Fly taking it on as 'their' annual get-together and blag some goodies from suppliers to hand out as prizes....???

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Kevin Perkins wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

How about Fish& Fly taking it on as 'their' annual get-together and blag some goodies from suppliers to hand out as prizes....???</blockquote>

Good idea Kevin. Last years pre-match 'teach in' went down well.

Graham gave everyone a bag of Sonu method mix and a feeder plus a well sort after FM cap. Stu and Graham put themselves up to help those that needed it.

It's a bit of a drive for me, but it is a central that many can get to.