Buying a rod

Matt Coops

Reaction score
im going to buy my first rod on friday and need some advise on how big and whats good for a beginner also it needs to be quite cheap i dont mid paying under £70. so any advise and sujestions would be great

Thanks Matt /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Matt What sort of fishing arre you intending to do carp, or silver fish , river or still water?

Float or ledger

Without knowing this I'd say a JW avon quiver is a decent allrounder or a shakespeare - probably pick up a float and a quiver tip or around £70-80 mark with Shakespears - the 10ft bomb wand Mach 2 is a great rod and costs about £30

13ft would be a good length but without knowing whatyou intend to fish for I'd can give better advice

Matt Coops

Reaction score
i dont know im fishing in a still water lake if thats makes a diffrence

sorry for not giving as much infomation as you would like im a newbie /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

also im floating

S

Sean Meeghan

I'd lay off the illicit substances then! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Seriously, you need to buy a 13ft float rod then. Have you got a reel? You'll be able to buy a decent rod and reel for £70. If you've already got a reel then you'll be able to buy a float rod and a ledger rod such as the Shakespeare wand.

Go into your local tackle shop and ask advice.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Has Sean says 13 ft rod - if you'renot sure what's in the lake I'd look for a rod that will cope with 6lb breaking strain and spool your reel with 6lb line - then you can fish for carp in the 10lb range with 6lb line straight thro' or use a lighter hook line for the smaller fish.

If you're float fishing get a rod light enough so you can hold it comfortably for a few hours

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Welcome to FM, if you fill in your profile members will be able to give more advice.

If members can see where you are from, then they can tell you the tackle shops to visit to get the best deals.

Go with Seans advice regarding rod and reel, whilst your in the shop try and get them to put some line on the reel spools if your buying one, many shops will do this to get a sale.

They will alsogive you advice on what line you will need.

slime monster

Reaction score
A 13 foot power float rod can be used with a range of braking strain lines, whilst being forgiving enough for silver fish large specimen fish can be handled onheavier lines within the rods range,If Carp are the target it will double up as a feeder/leger rod.

Missed your post m'lud sorry for the echo