Tales of the unexpected

B

Brian Lewis

I wasn't sure whether to post on Carp or Coarse (you'll see why) so opted for General.

A local fishing club has a teach in every last Saturday in the month for youngsters wishing to learn . My son, Scott, who is 9, but small for his age, wanted to go along. On his first lesson I didn't stay as I didn't want to put him off. He didn't catch anything and got a lot of tangles but it didn't put him off and he was keen on going again. This time he wanted me to stay.

So we turned up and he was armed with a new reel as I'd decided that the first one was the cause of his tangles.

Of course, as Dads know best (!), I helped him to set up as light as possible with a view to him catching some small tench, rudd, or bream.

As he wanted to use sweetcorn we'd taken along some Tesco Value Sweetcorn, ideal as the bits were not gigantic and easily taken by small fish. So he cast out, quite near some lily pads, and we sat back to watch the float.

Within about five minutes the float went under, I said "strike", and he did. Then the problems started as his rod bent double and Scott held on for all he was worth. There followed a ten minute scrap with Scott holding the rod and me holding him while at the same time trying to convey to him years of experience of how to play a large fish on light line!

Eventually the fish was netted and on the bank and he was the proud captor of an 8lb 7oz Common Carp. The look on his face was a picture - he really couldn't believe that he'd caught this "monster" pretty much all on his own. Neither could the club members who had winessed his tangles etc on the previous lesson (oh, and thanks to those chaps for giving up their time to the youngsters).

So much for Dad helping him to go for smaller fish! What do I know?!

Does anybody else have tales of catching the unexpected?

P

Phil Hackett

Enjoyed reading that!
What a lovely story Brian!
I think McWallet should send the lad some tackle don't you guys?

C

Craig Smith

"What do I know?!"
Isn't that why you go fishing!
The only thing along these lines happened to my old man and me last year.
Whilst on the way fishing we passed a solitary magpie which I saluted (old wives tale?) and me old man didn't. After a good evening fishing for me and a blank for me old man he still wouldn't have it about the magpie!
McWallet part with money for tackle??!!

S

Shrek

How do you salute a magpie then, and what does a magpie saluting you look like?

C

Craig Smith

The day they salute back is the day all PB's go in 1 session!!!!