Frozen Activ-8's

• Thread starter Sir Steven Blanksalot
  • Start date
S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

What is the best way to use Frozen Activ-8's? Some people tell me that to leave them out to thaw the night before a days fishing is the best way, others tell me that storing them in a cool bag and using them frozen is the best way! HELP!!!!

P

Paul Williams

Are those who say take em out the night before saying they "mature"and are better bait or tackle dealers wanting to sell more? coz i for one can't see the difference.......and keeping in a cool bag makes em stay fresher longer, so thats the one i would go for!

S

Stuart Johnson

I have used them both ways and have not noticed a difference. Do as Paul has suggested and re freeze those that you have not used. I have re frozen activ-8 up to 4 times with out any difference and yes they still caught.

C

Carp Angler

I dump mine into pellet when I've done with them and begin the air dry process.

They then last indefinitely.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
I found they seem to get a fur over them if left out on their own for any length of time,
Rik, is this coz I didn't put them into pellet?

B

Birds Nest

sounds like the moisture got to them, the pelleet will keep the moisture away...

P

Phil Hatton

Carp Angler,please explain further;as a recent convert to carping I'm not too well up on the terminology,what is air drying and what is the benefit,cheers mate.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Cheers Birdie,
I know one sounds daft but trying to get me ed'round this lot hurts! do they need to be left out in the pellet or in a tub with a lid on?

P

Paul Williams

Rik must be fishing....to air dry them (A8 that is!) put them into the pellet or dry groundbait loose or in the missus's stockings, well any net really but stockings are more fun!the moisture is then drawn from them and they shrink and become hard but they also last ages and still work......eg catch fish.

C

Carp Angler

put them in the dry pellet before you put them in the net.
The smaller the pellet, the better, it wicks away the moisture.
1/2 kg of boilie to about 3 kgs of pellet.
(Too many boilies and it stays damp.)
Keep rotating them for about 3 or 4 days and when they are no longer damp to the touch, then put them into some kind of netting.
(I use the small white washing tablet bags)
and then hang them somewhere dry.
An airing cupboard is ideal, but unlikely to be allowed in most households, so the shed or the garage will suffice.

Don't pack the nets too tightly and keep giving them a 'jiggle' every day and after a week they should be totally moisture free.
You can then give them a light sprinkle of flavour or glug (providing it's not water based) and they will last indefinitely.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
o.k. cheers guys, got the full picture...I've half a bag in the freezer nd er indoors is non to chuffed....she be even less happy when I raid her undie drawer......but thats fishin' eh...