Hook sharpeners, do they work

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have never used a hook sharpener nor do I know if they work but I was wondering if todays chemically sharpened hooks are able to be sharpened. The Eze-lap sharpeners have a good reputation and widely used in the States but do they work?

Have any of you ever used one or something similar, do they actually sharpen the hook and I am thinking in terms of size 16 down to 12 rather than large hooks.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Graham,

I find that hooks are that cheap these days that it is easier to just replace the blunt hook with a new sharp hook.

Tight Lines

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
To be truthful a friend of mine who does a lot of match carp fishing commented that todays hooks go blunt very very quickly and can even name those that blunt quicker than others and thinking about what he said prompted me to start this thread. Somewhat surprisingly the Drennan hooks are amongst the ones that he never uses because they lose their point very quickly. I tend to throw my used hooks away but wouldn't it be nice if you could sharpen a hook and re-use it, not just cheaper but it helps eliminate the "waste" element that we anglers have.

Time is of the essence when you are match fishing and what you don't want to be doing is changing hooklengths unneccessarily, far better to give it a quick couple of swipes with a sharpener providing it actually does the job it says it does. Reading some of the comments on the web sharpening a hook isn't quite the simple thing one might imagine because, done wrongly, it can actually blunt the hook rather than sharpen it and not only that but some sharpeners don't seem to work at all.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
hook sharpening

For many years now i've used a small carborundum stone for sharpening hooks. Only in the last several years changing over to a diamond file. They are effective and efficient. though I would have to say the diamond file scores with the bigger hooks fitted to lures.

J K

Reaction score
Diamond Files

I have just done a quick "google" to find out more about these files and the ones I have seen have all been supplied in packs. The information given talks about grit size or coarse medium and smooth files nowhere did I find anything about fishing.

I take it a small smooth coated file would be the best. Where do you that use them buy them from?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
hook sharpening

LUHR. JENSEN, make some of the best hook files, and they don't break the bank. I seem to recall but I may be wrong, that Andy Lush at ''Friendly Fisherman'' carried them. In my opinion you can't get better.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
£1:00p for 10 hooks is cheap enough to me, i just can't see me messing around sharpening a size 20 hook when i can just put on a ready tied hook length with hook already attached.
I can perhaps see the the benefits of sharpening a larger carp hook where perhaps no fish had been caught on it but the point had blunted due to gravel or rocks.

Tight Lines

Chris Season32

Reaction score
In my experience (I use a precision diamond half-lap) its economical for larger hooks and trebles, but all it does is raise a burr (take a look through a x20 loupe) there's a difference between chemically etched 'sharp' and a burr in terms of penetration resistance. In the case of fine hooks this burr is very fragile and 'folds over' very quickly effectively making the hook blunter than before sharpening. I've worked in precision tool sharpening, small hooks are IMO are false economy to sharpen unless you are skint and dont mind giving them a dusting every few fish.

Just my 2p.

preston96

Reaction score
A rig that has been painstakingly tied to perfection shouldn't be wasted for a quick touch up with a file....should it?

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
I must admit I used to file but now hooks are cheap enough that I tend to change after a catch or a snag up

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
hook sharpening

Paul/Cakey, I can see your point, (no pun intended) with regards to single hooks. But when it comes to trebles, already twisted and shrink tubed on a trace, then it most definately is worth it for obvious reasons. Of that I am sure, perhaps even more when it comes to lure trebles.

preston96

Reaction score
Paul/Cakey, I can see your point, (no pun intended) with regards to single hooks. But when it comes to trebles, already twisted and shrink tubed on a trace, then it most definately is worth it for obvious reasons. Of that I am sure, perhaps even more when it comes to lure trebles.

I file Derek, that was my point earlier, all that work to put a good rig together....it's often a couple of quid tied up....... i may ask Cakey to send me his rejects lol

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Good point Cakey, when I think they are inefficient, they are snipped into small pieces with cantilever cutters,and consigned to the dustbin.
Years past when the furnaces were going strong in Sheffield, my old man used to take them to work with him and dispose of them there!!!