How tidy are you?

R

Ron Clay

I met a guy the other day who's tackle box and other gear were a revelation to behold. Every small item of tackle was carefully marked and stored in Fox boxes. Float and pole rigs where on winders with the exact depth and swim marked, Leads and feeders were in specific compartments and each reel spool was marked with line strength/type etc. I addition his rods and reels were spotless, not a sgn for slime or groundbait at all.

Compared with myself he was the epitome of efficiency - or so it seemed.

At the end of a session, I tend to cut my line, chuck the whole lot into my bag a attempt to sort it out when I get home, which I invariably forget about. I also forget about those left over maggots and casters in my boot. Then we have a lovely hatch in summer...

Come on now, just how neat and tidy are you with your tackle?

G

Gerry Castles

A more interesting question would be how tidy your house is in relation to fishing tackle. Right now there six rods behind the door for a quick getaway. four tackle boxes amd a giant size landing net next to them. A trolling motor nn a bedroom (don't even ask!) a spare outboard on the patio. A pile of boat and fishing bits in the back of the car, more rods and reels in the office and second bedroom and a fly tying vice clipped to the coffee table in the sitting room, well where else should it be ?

S

Sascha Welsch

A rod bag, seatbox and loose made-up carp rod behind the front door, a carryall and net bag (+ nets) in the kitchen, a speci landing net pole leaning up against the telly, the matching 50" landing net covering the Playstation on the living room floor, numerous reels, tins of corn and boilie ingredients scattered around the kitchen, a set of bivvy poles on the ironing board, bucket of dendras on top of the washing machine and on last inspection 3 disgorgers, 2 plummets, a purple Springdawg, 2 feeders and 4 banksticks in the car.

The girlfriend?........oh no, she moved out months ago!!!

S

Shrek

About as neat and tidy as you are Ron. And yes, I regret it too when I next go out.

G

Gerry Castles

It eventually gets to the 'either this stuff goes or I go' stage. She couldn't fillet fish properly anyway and squeezing out lugworm somehow always seemed to be a chore for her!

P

paul clarke

i know its time for a clean up when i can't zip up my carryall and everything has a strange "squishiness" feel to it !!!!

S

Sascha Welsch

I remember leaving a dark blue jumper in my carryall on returning from a weeks fishing in Denmark. Unfortunately the worms I had also forgotten about escaped and proceeded to live and eventually die in aforementioned jumper.

It's amazing what strange patterns dead worms can give clothing!

J

Jim Crosskey

Personally, I always have a thorough clean out and check-up the night before a trip. Adds to the anticipation, I suppose. I like to make sure that reels are clean and bait-boxes have what ever new lifeform has evolved in the corner removed. So when I arrive at the waterside, I probably come accross like this chap that Ron met.

However, having said all that, I'd also say that I fully subscribe to the Ron Clay method of packing up. It all gets bunged in where it fits and I'm away. After all, the less time you spend packing up, the more time you spend fishing. Added to the fact that those last four "one more casts" you couldn't resist have probably already made you horribly late getting home.....

R

Ron Clay

You are just like me Sascha. I had about 40 dendrabenas crossing the kitchen the other day.

There's an old saying in business that: "A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind".

I have been fortunate in meeting a few millionaires in my life and what always struck me was the untidy state of their offices.

Maybe it's the same in angling.

**** Walker never cleaned his Rover in all the years he had it and the inside was like a tip, most of it old dog ends and Consulate packets. He once found a fly reel he thought he had lost when he came to watch me fishing once on the Ouse.

J

John Pleasance

My tackle boxes and rucksack are as tidy when setting out as they need to be,they are a mess by the time I'm on the way home though.

Now while I am fishing however my swim is very tidy,the only items outside my rucksack normally will be bait and flask.It never ceases to amaze me when passing some anglers that they seem to need half a field to spray their tackle over.

An immaculate house is a sign of a wasted life.

Don't even think of looking in the front of my van,apparently according to the hand book there are TWO seats in there.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Sorry lads,
but my tackle is always in tip top condition, I clean it after every session (even the keepnets if I use them) and leave it all out overnight to dry off before putting it all into it's own place.......kinda freaky but I don't have the best kit in the world so I look after what I have.

C

Chris Bishop

I think it's time we had a few exposes, Sunday tabloid-style.

Horror on the Riverbank - we lift the lid on Ron Clay's car...

... A Citroen car was declared a health hazard last night after environmental health officials found 15 types of bluebottle and a five-year-old sandwich in the boot.
The sandwich declined to comment but the public were advised to remain upwind of its owner.
Ronald Clay is due in court charged with breaches of environmental health regulations and having a Yorkshire accent.
Clay, 59, could not be contacted last night.
Reporters calling at an address in Doncaster were met with a cloud of flies.
Anglers have been in the spotlight since the Environment Agency pledged to clean up our rivers.
Countryside Minister Elliott Morley was unavailable last night.
Clay is believed to head a sinister group known as the Stinkies, who don't dry their nets and leave their tackle in their cars between sessions.
Our dossier has been passed to angling's authorities.
Last night a spokesman said: "I wouldn't breathe in if I were you."

R

Robert Woods

I once binned a maggot box full of feeder maggots that had turned.I thought nothing of it untill my father lifted the bin lid and was hit by a cloud of tiny flies.Of coarse I denied any knowledge of them!!!

S

Steve King

I subscribe to the Ron Clay method of packing up, but I try and avoid furry green cork handles on my rods by drying them thoroughly when I get home. The bottom of my Fox box is normally covered with a sediment composed of dead maggots, caster cases, mud and groundbait. My netbag is on the floor next to the bed, but it is on "my side!". My cats take an interest when I sort out my fishing gear, there's always a chance of a juicy bluebottle for them to chase and eat!

B

Bob Hornegold

To be honest here I have to say that tidiness has never been my strong point.
Looking though an old photo ablum I came across a Pic of me holding a carp a Wormleybury circa 1969.
My camp was a mess and over the years I have not got a lot better, but does it matter?
I still manage to catch a few fish, as for a health warning the old women refused to go in my car the other day.
So after a good old hunt around I found an open pack of frozen M-tech boilies left over from March the 14th.
Bob

M

Mark St Jefferson

I'm also a: 'Chuck it in & sort it out later, but never do' type with general tackle; most of it living in the van. (You have a front to your van John?).
However rods and reels are always cleaned and dried and taken indoors - to sit in a cupboard by the door that is pretty organised, unlike the house which makes a jumble sale look like an empty room.

And what's this about cleaning vans/cars?
I can't do that! If I did, I would wipe out a whole eco-system!!!