home made glug

derricklail

Reaction score
i fancy trying my hand at home made glug but its getting a little confusing.
well heres my idea for a base.
glycerine as base with fructose (fruit powder) added

then add me flavours.

any one know what are oil based additives/flavours and what are water based?

Any idea's

Frothey

Reaction score
sounds fine - though invariably I just seem to use salmon oil or minamino as a glug these days.

not many flavours are water based - most are glycol or alcohol based. Even if they were, they wouldn't really affect pva once diluted into the glycerine.

derricklail

Reaction score
hmm

hmm

not sure what to add to syrup and if gyrup glug woul;d go off easy.
and what to add to glycerine and fructose
or what combinations to use.

Frothey

Reaction score
why would syrup go off? it's used to preserve things.....

why add anything?

you could add oils, flavours, anything - a carp doesn't think "hmmm, a liver smelling sugary thing with nut and fish oils in - that's not natural". just play around with them.

or just use salmon oil :rolleyes:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Maple syrup already has Fructose in it and is more than ample enough to soak baits in, try soaking cooked maize in it, works a treat and can be easily hair rigged.
It's cheap, easy to use and could catch you some bonus fish.
Next time you go shopping have a look at what ingredients are in the syrup and the treacle and make your mind up from there.

Tight Lines

derricklail

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks lots of ideas , making me hungry let alone them.

how about a nice chocolate malt flavour using whole chocolate malt as used in beer making, crushed and added or maybe horlic s chocolate malt drink power.

syrup or maple does sound interesting i must say.
will have a good look in supermarket for sure.

Frothey

Reaction score
don't bother with adding "flavours", horlicks will do fine - hutchy/nash's chocolate malt is a malt sugar based flavour, it's the sugars they are attracted to anyway....

derricklail

Reaction score
how much frucose to add

so how much frucose should i add to say 50 ml of glycerine ?????????

told i melt frucose in boiling water first but not sure on amounts

any idea's

derricklail

Reaction score
so how much fructose

so how much frucose should i add to say 50 ml of glycerine ?????????

told i melt frucose in boiling water first but not sure on amounts

any idea's

Frothey

Reaction score
i wouldnt bother - you are only adding sugar to a sugar.

what are you trying to achieve? a food dip or something for "instant impact"?

derricklail

Reaction score
hmmm

so are u saying the glycerine is a sugar too.

I thought glycerine plus frucose was the way to go.

or glycerine plus a sweetner

Frothey

Reaction score
I thought glycerine plus frucose was the way to go.

you are aware that glycerine is a by-product of making soap and bio-diesel aren't you!

it is chemically classed as a sugar, used as a solvent and a sweetner. baits left in it will go rock hard as it will suck the water from them (it's hydrophillic). A lot of commercial dips are based on it as it's cheap, you pay a lot of money for a bit of glycerine and a flavour.....

it's also used as a base for a lot of flavours - the "neat" flavour is dissolved in it.

glycerine and fructose will work - but probably no better dipping the bait in treacle or golden syrup

klik2change

Reaction score
Frothey said:"baits left in it will go rock hard as it will suck the water from them"

Frothey, are you suggesting I could glug my [much too soft] boilies in glycerine to harden them? Just the other day I bought some frozen Dynamite boilies [Spicy Tuna and Spicy Shrimp] online, overnight. I put them in the freezer, and took some with me the following day. After thawing they were far too soft to hair-rig. They simply crumbled. I also have some halibut boilies which are now too soft, though they are much older.

Is there any other way to harden up soft boilies?

Frothey

Reaction score
they will harden them, but as soon as they start absorbing water they will be even more crumbly! it would be mega messy too.

best bet is to air dry them (will still go crumbly though). Odd that the baits are that soft though....

klik2change

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply Frothey. I looked through the archives and found a thread about air drying. You contributed to that as well. I think I may have to buy some shelf -life boilies to use on the hook. I wonder if that's Dynamite's aim? Surely not. I noticed that the shelf life versions of both boilies are also quite soft. I intended to contact the company I bought them from yesterday, but I forgot.

If I air dry, is it likely that they will be hookable, at least, until I cast out?

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
sorry, I missunderstood. Thought you meant glugging the freebies too! (i have been up since 3am lol!)

It'll be fine for hookbaits.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
sounds fine - though invariably I just seem to use salmon oil or minamino as a glug these days.

not many flavours are water based - most are glycol or alcohol based. Even if they were, they wouldn't really affect pva once diluted into the glycerine.

What is it with the minamino? It smells really chemically to me but I've caught some some good fish with boilies glugged in the stuff.