June 16th

S

Shrek

Ok, if you are the type of person that has to fish a river on the first day of the new season, where are you going to go and what will you target?

For me, it will be the upper Avon in Warwickshire roaming for chub and barbel.

S

Sascha Welsch

Not quite a river, but midnight onwards will be spent on a local drain fishing for tench in a traditionally raked and baited swim. 16th evening will be spent on a river trying to tempt one of its elusive carp while jigging for perch and zander on a spare rod.

R

Ron Clay

I know that area well Adrian, I used to live in Leamington Spa and then I moved to Warwick.

I shall be fishing for tench and bream on the old course of the Nene near Benwick on the 16th.

T

Tony Reynolds

The River Kennet between Newbury and Reading will be where I'm heading...

I've never been a real river fisherman... but after tempting 4 3lb+ Chub in two Winter outings just after Christmas I'm hooked.. So this year I've decided to get a club ticket and see if I can catch my first Barbel.... Any first day tips would be very much appreciated!!! TIA

S

Stewart Moss

I'll be on the wonderful Windrush near Witney in Oxfordshire, in pursuit of the Chub & Barbel.

The lakes have been fun for the past three months, but running water has a bit more magic for me!

I can almost visualise finally beating my 10+ year old, 6lb Chub personal best already!!

C

Chris Bishop

Piking up some river miles from anywhere on the boat. Get used to fishing running water again, then zander for a few days until I get bored and start yearning for something big and nasty on the end.

J

john conway

Midnight could see me fishing on the river Lune at a couple of pegs I haven’t fished before in the hope that I can locate where the big river bream go during the summer months or making contact with the big hard fighting hybrids. However, my mate was trying to arrange a trip to the Ribble for a crack at the Chub or Barbel.

C

Craig Smith

I will be on the river Weaver. Hopefully finding a few Bream!
Can't wait to hear the sound of running water again!
Or then again I might try the Dane for some Chub!
but isn't it a great decision to have to make!!

C

Chris Bishop

I don't want to start the should the close season be abolished debate over again but just think - if you could fish rivers all year round all the magic and anticipation would disappear.

F

Fred Bonney

I shall be heading for the upper great ouse at Ravenstone,as I couldn't justify a ?250 ticket for Adams Mill.
I think I learnt quite a bit at Adams so hopefully a Barbel or two and the reliable Chub will start my season off,at least for a while, then I will have to start searching out S.Lincs,it looks like a house move is well on the way.

M

Mark St Jefferson

For me it will be a quiet little stretch of thr river Beult, down in Kent, and hoping for a Tench or Bream, (if not anything that'll jump on the hook will do).

I'm realy looking forward to 16th this year as I haven't seemed to have found the time to dip me rod since April. Now so close decided to hang back and sort out tackle boxes, you never know I might even splash out and buy myself a new hook.

J

Jeff Butler

Ware Angling Clubs, Herts has a beautiful
mile and a bit stretch of the Old River Lea. Only the first 1/4 mile really gets fished due to head hight nettles! I'll be fighting my way through those nettles to find 'that swim' to try and crack my 5lb PB Chub from the very same water on the 16th June last season.
CHRIS, Great point about the anticipation of the new season. I love the wait, it's good to look back at your triumphs and failures from one season to help you better yourself on the next...

M

Martin Wright

Blanking on the Bristol Avon....as usual (and loving it!)

R

Ron Clay

My plans for the opening of the river season are all sorted.

On the 15th I shall pick up bait at my local tackle shop and hit the road down to the fens by 7-00 am. On arrival at John's at about 9-30 we shall have a good breakfast. Then a drive around to prospect for a good spot on the local rivers and drains. I expect we shall fish The Old Course of the Nene as we did last year.

At about 12.00 noon I shall be found in the George at Ramsey Fortyfoot to have a pint or two together with a nice bacon butty.

The afternooon will be spent sorting out my gear.

Then a good evening meal prepared by Christine. She really is an excellent cook. Then a walk down the river to put in some bait. A couple of hours in the local and off to bed.

We rise at 3-00am and hope those tench co-operate. They're not monsters but nice wild fish averaging about 41/2 lbs with the odd 5.

Roll on the weekend.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Sounds marvellous Ron, cant think of a better way to do it, a few beers, being cooked for, a few more beers, maybe if you lucky she will carry your gear for you.

T

Trent Jim

4am will see me on the Trent trying to pick up the double figure barbel I lost from the same swim on the 16th last year. Once the sun gets high and bites dry up i'll be trying to winkle out some big Chub with the spinners (and probably collecting perch and pike in the process)... oh its great looking forward to that magical day - long live the closed season!!
Jim

R

Ron Clay

Do you know Jim, I tend to agree with you. There is something absolutely magical about the close season and the 16th June.

I know I'm just a sentimental old fart, but I have a feeling that this may be the last June 16th authorities will let us enjoy.

Let's hope not>