Pellet Problems?

johntyzack

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been using Hinders Large Elips Pellets as bait recently, drilling them for the hair. (I drill through the width of the pellet, not along the length)
More often than not though, when I reel in the pellet and the stop have both gone. This is sometimes after a short while, say 20mins or less, and it makes me wonder how long I have been sat fishing with a bare hook!
I have drilled some pellets and dropped them in the margins to see how long they take to breakdown and they seem fine, it seems to take longer than 20 minutes anyway.

What do you think is happening, and what can I do to prevent it?

I have been using the Korda pellet stops, could it be down to these?

Matt

PS i started to drill the pellets again after buying a bad batch of superglue!! The stuff you get from the poundshops in black and yellow tubes is ****!! I think it is too runny and soaks too far into the pellet, anyone else have any thoughts on this??

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try a lower diameter bait drill and double your knot on your hair so it's a tight fit and you have to pull quite hard to get the hair through the pellet. Sometimes you don't even need a stop that way.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi Matt! I suspect you've been fishing for 20 minutes without a bait as in all probability your hair stop has fallen off. 2 ways to overcome this:

1. Try the Korum Extenda Stops (think that's what they're called). They are a very deep "V" and don't slide off if the pellet moves on the hair.

2. Tie a long loop (pass the line through the hook eye, fold it back on itself to form a loop and tie your knotless knot to trap it and form the loop, dab knot with super glue). You can then pass the loop through the pellet and loop it back around the pellet to trap it (you'll need to experiment to get this right).

Personally I tend to use bait bands unless chub are a nuisance. If chub are a problem I'm using the Korum extenda stops

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I use the Korum quick stops or hair rig a small (3.2mm) bait band and pull that into the pellet. The other thing that works to stop the boilie stop falling out is to pull the hair through the pellet then through a small piece of rubber band (donated by the postie) then fit the stop and pull the bit of band up tight to the stop. Quick stops or bait bands are the least fiddly tho IMHO.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I tie a 'No Snag Hair Band' from any Claires shop onto end of hair using a three turn blood knot. Then band your 10mm elips on. I also cut grove round pellets with bit of hacksaw blade. I also use this for hair rigging corn & boillies the normal way.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Or just put a rubber float stop on the hair, then your pellet, then the hair stop. After it is all in place push the rubber float rubber up to the pellet and it will keep everything tight and in place.

sagalout

Reaction score
Hi Dave, how do you get the float stop onto the hair? I've been trying to figure out a way because then I could use the float stop as a "slip knot" to lassoo the pellet instead of using bait bands.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Float stops go on the same way as you'd thread them onto normal mainline.

It puts a kink in the hair but that doesn't matter.

Personally I use bait bands almost all the time, they go round pellets or through boilies and don't need a boilie stop because they expand inside the bait and grip it when you lose the tension from the baiting needle.

They work well for meat too although you do need a stop of some kind for that, I use grass.

Why fork out for unecessary odds and ends of tackle when one thing does it all?

If you want a longer hair because of chub, just tie the bait band to a longer hair.

Simples.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Just a report back on the Korum extenda stops. Almost perfect, but they are just too tight a fit in my pre drilled 8mm pellets and they split them occasionally.

darrengeorge

Reaction score
Super glue for me - the good stuff, with a brush. Got mine from homebase but I'm sure you could find it cheaper (needed some in a rush and homebase was just round the corner)

Robert Woods

Reaction score
As I'm a dab hand on supa gluing every finger whilst using it It's only this season I've had a go in gluing pellets on hair length. My Loctite brush soon clogged up, so got 5 tubes for £1 in pound shop. Not bad considering it's only 20p a trip.

Last edited: