Old style hook Tyer

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I lost my old hook tyer that I've had for nearly forty years in the Severn at Kempsey last year, it was the old red type and had a complete flat front where the hook goes in unlike the Drennan which has sloping front.

Though I can use the Drennan and the match tyer I much prefer my old one but where can I buy one does anyone know?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Big red screw to close the jaws, and a wire swing-arm with two different-sized u-bends to make the loops round*? Sorry, round which to make the loops, there's a pedant about... if so, I have one - and as I can only get on with the Drennan type, you're welcome to it; just PM me your address.

* I just realised, the big u-bend positions the arm, the smaller one forms the loop. I think.

quattro

Reaction score
I'm with you Skippy. I've tried them all and get them to work about one in ten attempts. Must be some sort of gadget dyslexia:p

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I have the 'matchman' hook tyer. After many years, and many lost fish, I've gone over to eyed hooks, 100%. OK, I might miss out on the occasional fish that can recognise the point 000 of a gram difference but I'll live with that, as I no longer leave hooks in fish.

Spade ends? should be consigned to the bin.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Don't knock them just 'cos you're unsucessful at tying them. ;) I use both, and if tied properly a spade end should never fail at the hook knot. Eyed hooks have a higher knot failure rate unless tied with a non-strangulating knot such as the palomar or grinner etc. I use a matchman tyer nowerdays as my fingers have turned into sausages. :D

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Graham, Drennan bought the red (Delco) Hooktyer nearly 20 years ago. That's why you cannot get them anymore. The tooling was modified to produce the Drennan model you can buy now.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Graham, Drennan bought the red (Delco) Hooktyer nearly 20 years ago. That's why you cannot get them anymore. The tooling was modified to produce the Drennan model you can buy now.

Oh! dear, that is a blow but not a complete surprise as I havn't seen them in shops for yonks oh! well its the boot sales I suppose and in the meantime its continue with the Drennan. The Drennan does exactly the same but because they made it more pointed the point of the hook sticks out and I am always worried it catches the line causing damage that may well result in a breakage.

The spade end knot is far more reliable than the eyed knot and though years ago "in me yoof" I could tie them by hand even size 22's I don't have a lot of feeling in me old fingers now so its the hook tyer for me. About the same amount of effort and skill is required to use a hook tyer as to learn the appropriate knots for eyed hooks so I don't buy this "it never works for me" excuse at all. I used it in my matchfishing days for making up batches of hooks because it took the hard work out of it which is why I owned one.

I live on the Severn estuary and though I check the sands every time the tide is out I havn't come across my lost one yet - one day.........

A

alan whittington

RMNDIL,very interesting i wondered about the likeness.Why cant you get on with it Graham as it works similarly doesnt it.

Cant say to much for i made tyers similar to the 'matchman' 15 years ago out of aluminium and brass which are still going strong(wher i use spades).As for the comments on spade end hooks,they are very reliable in experienced hands as are eyed hooks,but if delicate presentation is required(not necessarally small hooks)then spades are far superior(thats why the matchmen use them for normal non-carp usage)

Paul B

Reaction score
Graham, i have a plastic red tyer, flat both ends, 4" long, no manufacturers logo or writing on it anywhwere, wire clamp and peg like the drennan one. does this sound like your lost tyer?
If so I can post it to you. I've put a picture of it in the gallery.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats the little beauty Paul, thanks for the offer my friend,

This is what makes FM so "special" it is the warm and generous nature of the people who come and participate and not the carrier, website or the design of the pages.

It can be even more "special" though if we just had the choice to turn off those annoying smiley things . . . . . . ?