Bait Fishing for Grayling without spending £sssssssssssss

Reaction score
Hello all.
I would like to bait fish for Grayling when season is ok.
Can anyone put me on the river bank for Grayling, for about £10 per day.
I live in north east Essex so it would be an over night trip with B&B down south.
All I can find on the web cost's load's.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I fished Timsbury on the River Test last season, I think it costs about £18.00. I realise that this is more than you want to pay but £8.00 is insignificant if you add up the cost of ;Transport, accommodation, bait, food, etc.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Tell us roughly where you live and someone will put you right am sure!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Go North!

You can fish the Calder and the Aire for next to nothing, the B & Bs are cheaper than darn Sarf and Its less than 3 hours drive

And another two hours further still will give you a seasons salmon and the best sea trout fishing in the country for £25 :)
I have one member with a syndicate place on the Wye who travels up about 6 times/year.

Last edited:

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Phil, I was on the River Itchen on Tuesday (my second trip there in a month) on the free stretch between Woodmill and Mansbridge in Southampton. Plenty of grayling (and roach) feeding with fish over the 1lb mark. Also some good chub and perch.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
There are parts of the Kennet that are also worth a look, not going to be massive fish (2 lb-plus are far rarer than somewhere like the Frome) but good fun and usually on a reasonable priced ticket. Plus if you get there and conditions aren't right then you can easily go and fish for something else instead.

Reaction score
bait fishing for grayling

Phil, I was on the River Itchen on Tuesday (my second trip there in a month) on the free stretch between Woodmill and Mansbridge in Southampton. Plenty of grayling (and roach) feeding with fish over the 1lb mark. Also some good chub and perch.
ok phil i had a look at EA website at this venu it sounds like it is in a public park by the name on the site can you confirm please.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Phil, Graham,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, it is a public park Phil but the dog walkers and joggers are well used to the anglers. Graham, it's the Woodmill to Mansbridge stretch immediately below the Lower Itchen Fishery stretch at Gater's Mill. If you park in the huge car park near the White swan pub, look at the pub and immediately to the left of the pub is a swim where the river curves round the back of the pub garden. There is a crease on the inside line where the fish tend to lie up and also a clearly seen gravel patch directly in front of the swim half way across the river. A trot down the crease will bring grayling as will a blockend feeder on the gravel. Double red maggot to a 16 hook with a 3lb hooklength (chub about!!) and 4lb reel line. If you are feeder fishing you will need a 2oz quivertip.
You can walk along the stretch and there are various glides and eddies which you can fish - the choice is yours really. From the car park, look at the pub and to the right of the pub (upstream) you will find a stretch that is also productive. Don't worry about the streamer weed - put you feeder in it, that's where the fish are! During the autumn when the weed has died down a bit, this is a very good stretch to trot. But be aware of the sea trout. These things fight like stink and will trash your swim!!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
But be aware of the sea trout. These things fight like stink and will trash your swim!!!!

Isn't this angling daft at times?

If you fish above Gators Mill for the very same Sea Trout then it'll cost you about £1300 for a fortnightly rod between May and October.

[ insert daft smiley thing - - - - > H E R E ]

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Absolutely true Peter!!!! I must admit to pampering myself a couple of times each autumn and paying for a coarse ticket to fish the private stretch once the game season is over (£20 a day I think it was).
It's an altogether much more manicured stretch of river, and much quieter too. There are also more 'features' on the river in respect of glides, pools, eddies and faster shallower runs.
If your wallet will stretch to it I can heartilly recommend a day on this stretch.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Phil,

I actually have a fortnightly game ticket on the Lower Itchen Fishery, thats how I know the cost.

I too have fished it a few times for the Coarse fish, we even have an FM fish-in there as well.

I think I'm right in saying that the coarse ticket doesn't give you access to the Trout Beats, but the rest of the river is a lovely place to fish.