Power float rods

C

Chris Bishop

I'm starting to get interested in these power float rods which seem to be coming out every other week at the moment. Some of them will subdue carp up to double figures and lob those method feeder float things, so I'm wondering whether they'd cope with trotting rivers for pike/zander.

I want a longer rod so I can control the line better and steer the bait under bridges, boats etc - would one of these things be up to it, or would I look like a total dork and end up with an expensive bit of broken carbon..?

D

David Will

Chris in reviews most of these rods have a test curve of 1lb to 1.4lb test curve.They vary in action but most are through action models.
Failing that have you considered a 13ft Daiwa Porky Pig X , this an animal of a rod.Designed for heavy lines and casting weights of 4 to 6 ozs (method balls)See www.daiwasports.co.uk for description.

C

Chris Bishop

I've seen one with a claimed 2lb tc but the rings on the top section were too small for 20lbs braid and stopknot to pass through.

I wanted to go to around 16 - 18ft, I might see if I can borrow one off someone to try out.

These Porky Pig things have quivertip tops don't they..? I'm after something I can trot a float-fished livebait with.

D

Del Jarman

Chris, the Porky Pigs do a quiver top and a hollow top. They say you can float or feeder fish withthe hollow tip.
As Dave said check out the diawa web site.

Del.

C

Chris Bishop

Cheers, I'll try to borrow one. What's the TC of the tip and how big are the rings - could you get away with 20 braid on it..?

B

Barry Kneller

Chris
I have a Daiwa PP which I bought for fishing the method & I've had a few thoughts about using it for livebaiting for pike. The rings are small compared to a normal pike/carp rod but not so small that you couldn't use with a good strong braid & float stop(s). To see one of these being used to cast out a loaded method feeder is frightening - the rod is almost in the the release position before it starts to recover but it sure does cast a heavy (3 to 4oz) feeder a long way.

C

Chris Bishop

Barry - give it a week or two and you'll see what I mean. Most frustrating bit of river in western Europe...