Enthusiasm

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I started fishing from a young age, I've never taken a break from the sport and I still have as much enthusiasm as when I started, more if anything. I am going tomorrow and I am as excited as a little kid looking forward to an ice-cream. I suppose that I am sad old git really.
Has your enthusiasm waned over the years?

Rickrod

Reaction score
No Ray your not a sad old git .Fishing is exciting. Some of the old boys i have spoke to on the bank get so excited talking about fishing even though they have fished for decade's. What other sport can do that

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
No, my enthusiasm has not waned, but my ability to endure long sessions has. But that's all age related I'm afraid.
The wife reckons, if I had too, I'd crawl to the bankside.
She knows you knoe!!

Chris Season32

Reaction score
I've found my winter fishing enthusiasm has declined as my jointy bits complain more of the damp/cold these days. I do however find I make more tackle and baits in the so I suppose that compensates somewhat. The biggest area of decline for me has been shore fishing, the quality of fishing on the fylde coast has got so bad that I find it difficult justifying the bait and fuel costs unless holidaying near more productive coastline.

quattro

Reaction score
I still get the same buzz as I did more than fifty years ago, and even after an eight hour session, I'm still mentally preparing my next trip on the way home. I did go over to the dark side (sea fishing) for a couple of years, but with the decline in shore fishing, and the lure of the commercials, I've managed to find my way back to the straight and narrow, and having discovered the pole, there will be no turning back:):)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I sometimes take a break for 2-3 weeks for no other reason than to re-charge my batteries, but even after a horrendous series of blanks I still never feel my enthusiasm gets dampened, if anything I just get the urge to try for a new species or try a new venue or method.

rookie_fly_guy

Reaction score
I think im more enthusiastic now than as a kid for a variety of reasons.

I can spend more money trying out baits and tackle than spending all of my pocket money on a pint of maggots.

I can go fishing when I want (as work and the missus allows) rather than begging fishing trips off of my parents.

Even though I don't know much about fishing, I know a lot more than I did then and im constantly learning and enjoying learning.

I'm free to travel hundreds of miles to try a venue if I want, or spend a weekend camping by a river/pond.

I have considerably more patience than I did as a child.

Plus the next trip will always be the one where I catch the big one! :D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Interesting comments Ray.

I fished since I was a little kid back in the early 1960's but then just stopped in the late 80's. Sold/gave away all my gear and completely left the sport. It was a time when I became disenchanted with the whole scene, all sorts of issues were going on and it coincided with having a family, moving homes, a switch to London and abroad for my so called career. Didn't even miss any of it at the time.

But then, about 8 or 9 years ago, I started again and now find I have loads of enthusiasm. Particularly for new venues, styles and methods and especially for just plain old "going fishing". I really enjoy the social side, particularly those trips generated via FM but I also really enjoy the solitary aspect as well.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Fancy a pint?

Just had a few mate, Going this morning to the River Beult with an old mate as my guest. I see him most weeks but we haven't fished together for the best part of Twenty years. I hope we catch. I've still got the bug, can't sleep.

Rickrod

Reaction score
can you see the rod tip been pulled around

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
On my tenth Birthday I was taken to Old Ma' Bennet's tackle shop (that had the wonderful aroma of linseed oil on the nets and maggot amonia prevalent) and given my first proper rod, reel and tackle. In the ensuing 50 years I can honestly say that my enthusiasm has only waned once, when I was living and working in the USA and Canada and just couldn't be bothered flinging large lumps of metal after small Bass. However, in Canada I rediscovered the art of Fly Fishing which eased the boredom a lot.

Whilst my enthusiasm for actually fishing is as strong now as it was in my tender years I am really disenchanted with the politics that now surround our hobby.

Nonetheless as I approach the time when I am considering retiring I am now searching for a new property that has river frontage and either a lake, or the possibility of building one, from where I can fish for the rest of my days and the politicians, close season abolishonists etc., can go and kiss my lilly white backside.

So yes, I am still very enthusiastic but somewhat disillusioned at the same time.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am worse now than I was as a kid. There is one simple reason for that, I don't get out everyday as I did as a kid.

When I go out fishing now I will spend days getting ready, as a kid, I just up and went.

If your a young angler today, can I give you one bit of advice. Get out as mush as you can and most of all, Enjoy it. Once you start full time work, get married and have kids, things change.