Broken Digital SLR

Dal

Reaction score
I've got a Canon Power Shot S2 IS Digital SLR camera bought only 2 or 3 years ago, with only about 150 pictures taken on it, does any one repair, or know any one that repairs these type of cameras?

The problem is that there's no display (through the screen or view-finder) on play back or when the camera is switched to take a photo although the display functions are fine.

I've had a look at a few Canon camera forums and they say that the CCD or optical block/unit could be faulty, any ideas?

Geoff Brown

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular model, but the problem is (and not just with cameras) the cost of repairs (diagnostics, parts and labour) is often higher than the monetary value of the item. Have you tried Canon UK?

rookie_fly_guy

Reaction score
If theres no display during playback its unlikely to be the CCD. The CCD converts light into electrons (like a solar panel) and would send an image through to the screen or take a pic, but a broken CCD *shouldn't* affect the display itself for playback, entering menus, etc.

What do you mean by the display functions are fine? Can you open up the menu and see the options? It might sound silly, but it could possibly be that your internal memory and card have gone - some cameras will display nothing if your unable to take a photo due to lack of storage.

Alternatively it could be the image processor, the part that causes the screen and viewfinder to display images (rather than menus which is usually handled by a different chip) is gone. But if thats the case your probably better off buying a new camera - parts and labour will cost more than a decent cam these days. Or alternatively leave it on the table at the pub, nip to the loo and ring the insurance broker when you get back and some tits nicked it :p

Cakey

Reaction score
Dal Ive repaired a few in my time so Im willing to take a quick look for you
PM me for my address if you you want

Dal

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that particular model, but the problem is (and not just with cameras) the cost of repairs (diagnostics, parts and labour) is often higher than the monetary value of the item. Have you tried Canon UK?

Cheers Geoff, I thought as much, I used to be a repair engineer, it's sometimes easier and cheaper to buy a new one.

Krian, sorry the "display functions" are working fine, just no play-back or actual view finder display

Cakey, PM on it's way;)