Large Mouth Bass in the UK?

J

Jeff Butler

What do you lot think of having the old Bass fishery over here? Or is there any?

J

John Pleasance

I preferred the old Bass Brewery, or at least what it produced.

Introducing a new species to any country is not something to be undertaken lightly.It normally ends in disaster for another species somewhere along the line.

C

Chris Bishop

There's rumoured to be one on a US airbase in Suffolk.

J

John Pleasance

That's a long way for me to go for a pint Chris! !

C

Chris Bishop

You wouldn't like the beer on there anyway mate - it mostly comes from Milwaukee.

J

Jeff Butler

Ok I ment to say the 'odd' LargeMouth Bass fishery... Doi!
I know what you're saying John about the introduction of a new species. I wouldn't ever think it wise to introduce Bass to an existing fishery. I would like to see some specially dedicated pits just for the Bass. It just looks like a lot of fun!!!

J

John Pleasance

The problem is how do you stop the transfer to another water by those misguided anglers who think it would be a good idea to have them somewhere else as well?

J

Jeff Butler

Yes point made. I guess it would have to be a professionally run Club water perhaps even with security like some of the more prestigious Carp lakes but then you're talking money and big membership fees...
Just a thought really......

G

Gerry Castles

......sorry not even a professionally run club water. Nobody has a clue about the long term effect on native species that the introduction of alien fish may be responsible for. Nature has a way of achieving it's own balance if left alone. But once an alien species is in the water then it's too late to retract the experiment. Doubt that? Think Zander..Coypu....Mink....Grey Squirrel. They were all introduced into 'controlled' environments.

C

Colyn Nelson

have only seen these fish on tv .they have a bigger mouth than a chub and being of the same family as the perch I think they would do a great deal of harm to any waters that they are put into.

R

Ron Clay

Sorry Colyn. American bass are not of the same family as the perch, although they have a spiky fin and are predatory.

They belong to the American group called sunfish, which includes crappies and blugills. They breed by nmaking nests in shallow water. The MALE stands guard of the nest and protects the young, mainly from the female, would you believe. I have caught thousands of these fish - truly one of the world's greatest game species.

J

Jeff Butler

Hi Ron,
Good to hear someone saying positive things about Bass. I fully understand and appreciate peoples point of view but all I did make a point of how much fun they look to catch...
You seem to really know your stuff about them, did you live over there?
I know that introducing an 'alien' species is of course dangerous and that nature always has a way to break free but it's nice to dream right........
Thank mate!

R

Ron Clay

Although I have done a little bass fishing in USA, Most of it has been done in South Africa where both the Large Mouth and Small Mouth varieties were introduced there in the 20s.

Smallmouth Bass (Microterus dolemieu)are present in the UK!!

These are to be found in a strictly private gravel pit near an old US Airforce base in the South of England.

That's all I can tell you, nothing more.

Kieran1047

Reaction score
Although I have done a little bass fishing in USA, Most of it has been done in South Africa where both the Large Mouth and Small Mouth varieties were introduced there in the 20s.

Smallmouth Bass (Microterus dolemieu)are present in the UK!!

These are to be found in a strictly private gravel pit near an old US Airforce base in the South of England.

That's all I can tell you, nothing more.
Didny they all die

Krang

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to fish for bass. I've seen so many American videos about them, I'd like to see what the fuss is about.

Not worth introducing them just for angling fun though. As others have pointed out, grey squirrels etc.. I wonder how safe stocking sterile ones would be. In the same way that stocked brown trout must be sterile, could bass be safely stocked in the same way?

Krang

Reaction score
Muskies spring to mind too. They occupy the same niche as pike and live alongside them in north America seemingly without being detrimental. Maybe they'd help stop the zander! ?